They call me "Tater Salad"

Started by Whistlerduck, March 27, 2013, 12:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whistlerduck

They call me....Tater Salad. That's a Ron White joke but it never gets old. I have no idea why that came to mind when I started this post, but it cracked me up.

Hey everyone, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Henry aka Whistlerduck. I am a located in N.B Canada, tucked just up above Maine. I am an avid angler and hunter. I tournament bassfish and hunt a lot of ducks as my forum name applies. After researching smokers and coming to terms with the fact I will never have time to do what I call, smoking in the raw form(tending a firebox all day) I came to the deliberation that a Bradley is the very best bet for me. I picked up a stainless 6 Rack digital and am about to embark on what I hope is a long adventure down a smokey trail!! I look forward to sharing what I can and reading up on the vast amount of information you folks have generously provided.

-Whistlerduck

DBS 6

KyNola

Mark in Ottawa

Hi Henry!
Welcome to the forum - everyone here is great and the forum is a wealth of information.

Lots of us Canadians on here too, so some good cold-temp specific suggestions for smoking in the winter months!

Be sure to post lots of pics!

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

Whistlerduck

Thanks!

Question: I tried to register on the Susanminor site and the Image Verification does not actually show any letters or numbers even after I refreshed several times. Has anyone heard of this issue. I'm running a new system that I built and it has lots of horsepower but maybe I need a different flash or java app....couldn't find anything that mention requirements....

I tried with my work laptop as well and tried several different browsers. I then tried to email them via there contact us form and it requires...yup! and image verification. Can someone ask a moderator or admin to look at the registration process as their image verification is busted. Thanks kindly

-Whistlerduck
DBS 6

beefmann

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard, from south Texas.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

STLstyle

Welcome!  You should have used Tatorsalad as a screen name if it isn't already taken...  That is funny...
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Mark in Ottawa

Quote from: Whistlerduck on March 27, 2013, 01:51:29 PM
Thanks!

Question: I tried to register on the Susanminor site and the Image Verification does not actually show any letters or numbers even after I refreshed several times. Has anyone heard of this issue. I'm running a new system that I built and it has lots of horsepower but maybe I need a different flash or java app....couldn't find anything that mention requirements....

I tried with my work laptop as well and tried several different browsers. I then tried to email them via there contact us form and it requires...yup! and image verification. Can someone ask a moderator or admin to look at the registration process as their image verification is busted. Thanks kindly

-Whistlerduck

I saw this issue mentioned in another thread - it is an issue that they are aware of and that was inadvertently created in an attempt to keep out ever increasingly persistent spam bots. That said, all the recipes are listed by type, so it almost much easier anyhow to just go through the categories and then scroll through the recipe index.

Hope that helps.

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

MoHuka

Hey Whistlerduck,
When I was going to college in Oregon and used to hunt ducks a lot with my Dad and Uncle,  we would take all the big ducks aka mallards, to a smoke house in a nearby town and he would smoke them for a dollar each....the taste was fantastic, almost like smoked ham..went extemely well with cold Olympia beer.  Do you smoke ducks or plan to?  I do as much duck hunting as I can here in Missouri but would not know where to start to smoke one.
I have always said the hardest part of duck hunting is finding someone to give them to...but if I could duplicate those I remember from 45 years ago..it would be great..and welcome to the forum
MoSmoker

Whistlerduck

@ Welcomes - Thanks kindly

@Mark. I went back to the site and now see that I can view and drill down through the recipes and different forums. At first glance it appeared I couldn't see anything. Thanks, much appreciated.

@Mo. I intend to get into smoking ducks and making jerky as well. We hunt a fair amount of diver ducks(not exactly the greatest tasting critters on the planet) and they will make excellent jerky and whatever we do not consume my 3 labs will graciously accept. As for Mallards and Blacks and geese I am excited to see what will turn out. I see lots of folks have already shared their duck and goose smoking recipes in different parts of the forums so I'm excited to try out their recommendations. I'm with you, duck is a very hard piece of meat to tame for the masses(ie family and wife) so Im excited to think that smoking them and making jerky(GOOD JERKY) will be a homerun!
DBS 6

Ketch22

Welcome to the Forum! "Tater Salad"  :)

Habanero Smoker

Thanks!

-Whistlerduck

Hi Whistlerduck;

Welcome to the forum.

The problem with the Image Verification has been reported. Olds and Trey are trying to figure it out. They can see the Image Verification, and have not yet been able to duplicate the problem. When I log off the sight I also cannot see the Image Verification, and I've used both IE10, and the latest version of Firefox. I haven't given any thought to it being related to java, but if java is needed generally a window will pop up stating java is requires. I'll install java and see if that may be the problem.

You also seem to have an additional problem that others don't. You should be able to view the recipes, just not be able to utilize the search feature. You may be getting your internet service for an ISP that has been block.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Whistlerduck

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 28, 2013, 01:54:38 PM
Thanks!

-Whistlerduck

Hi Whistlerduck;

Welcome to the forum.

The problem with the Image Verification has been reported. Olds and Trey are trying to figure it out. They can see the Image Verification, and have not yet been able to duplicate the problem. When I log off the sight I also cannot see the Image Verification, and I've used both IE10, and the latest version of Firefox. I haven't given any thought to it being related to java, but if java is needed generally a window will pop up stating java is requires. I'll install java and see if that may be the problem.

You also seem to have an additional problem that others don't. You should be able to view the recipes, just not be able to utilize the search feature. You may be getting your internet service for an ISP that has been block.

Habanero

I am able to drill down through the site. At first I was unaware I could as all the forum topics were not expanded and 'assumed' I needed to be a registered member. But I can certainly browse the site. Which btw is awesome. I'll gladly sign up once they get it all sorted. Thanks for the update.

-Whistlerduck
DBS 6

Habanero Smoker

Glad you are able to view the information on the site. Raye, whose member name is Oldman is the person to thank. It's his resources and his time that keeps that site up and running.

I haven't gotten around to seeing if java is needed to view the Image Verification. I will check that out today.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)