Dry Cured Hot Salami

Started by Mr Walleye, March 30, 2013, 11:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Thanks guys!

I'm going to let her run for a while yet till it firms up more for sure.

I'll keep you posted...

Patiently waiting...  ::)  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Your salami is looking really good. The slight over drying on the edges, doesn't seem to be impeding moisture loss.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Your Right Habs, So far it's still dropping weight each day. The case hardening isn't real bad but in the future I would probably start with a little higher RH, then lower after a few weeks.

Ahh... live and learn, It's all good!  ;)

Mike

devo

Mike
I would also look into the air flow. You might want to find or make a slide shield for one of the holes you have for air. If your moving to much air the casings will dry out a lot faster. Natural casings I think have an advantage over the artificial ones, at least so far for me they have.

Mr Walleye

Thanks Devo

I don't really think the air flow for the dehumidifier cycle is too much. It really is very limited. The fan itself is 21 cfm. You pretty much have to put you face in front of it to feel the air coming off it. As well it only runs periodically.

I definitely could easily enough add a control for the amount of air but I think I will try running the humidity a little higher during the first few weeks on the next batch and see how that works out.

Mike

OU812

When I grow up and things slow down Im gonna try and make some dry cured sausage too

Looks great Mike!!

SmokinSignals

How is the salami coming along Mike?

Mr Walleye

It's getting real close. I've tasted it a few times now. Most recently on the weekend. It has firmed up real good and I was shooting for a few more days, maybe till next weekend. It has a slight amount of case hardening but not enough to affect the drying. The taste has changed some as well. Originally I didn't think there was enough heat in it and I thought the fennel was a little too strong but as it has aged it's concentrated the heat and the fennel has mellowed.

When I package it I'll be sure to take some pictures.

Mike

Mr Walleye

I finally pulled everything today. I ended up taking it to a loss of about 40% in the end to get it to the texture I was looking for. Taste and flavor is good but I would probably back off on the fennel for my taste next time. The flavor definitely concentrated these last few weeks. It does have a little bit of case hardening on it but not too bad for my first kick at it. Next time I will run a little higher humidity during the first 2 or 3 weeks. Anyway here's a couple pictures...

Mike

SmokinSignals

Right on, that looks good.  I trying to find some bactoferm and I will attempt salami next.  Thanks for the great updates.

Habanero Smoker

The salami looks great.

SmokinSignals; Sausage Maker sells a variety of Bactoferm products. Just choose the one best suited for you taste and the product you are making. Bactoferm F-RM-52 is a general purpose, and has a fast culture time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Keymaster

SmokinSignals

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 18, 2013, 01:09:16 PM
The salami looks great.

SmokinSignals; Sausage Maker sells a variety of Bactoferm products. Just choose the one best suited for you taste and the product you are making. Bactoferm F-RM-52 is a general purpose, and has a fast culture time.
I was just looking at their site when I came back to check in here at the forum.  Great minds think alike, or was it  a mind is a terrible thing?  Thanks for the insight Habs ordering as we speak.

devo

Quote from: SmokinSignals on May 18, 2013, 01:55:03 PM
The salami looks great.

I was just looking at their site when I came back to check in here at the forum.  Great minds think alike, or was it  a mind is a terrible thing?  Thanks for the insight Habs ordering as we speak.

So from your excitement to order  Bactoferm I am assuming you have built a controlled environment to produce a dry cured product? If not you are putting the chicken before the egg. Also you will need cure #2 to make dry cured products. Just throwing that out there for ya.

And remember Bactoferm does not last for ever even if you freeze the unused portion.

SmokinSignals

Quote from: devo on May 18, 2013, 03:10:19 PM
Quote from: SmokinSignals on May 18, 2013, 01:55:03 PM
The salami looks great.

So from your excitement to order  Bactoferm I am assuming you have built a controlled environment to produce a dry cured product? If not you are putting the chicken before the egg. Also you will need cure #2 to make dry cured products. Just throwing that out there for ya.

And remember Bactoferm does not last for ever even if you freeze the unused portion.
I do have my dry cure cabinet built, it has a bunch of cheese I made inside at this time but we will make room for some salami.  Cure #2, I hope is the same as modern cure (pink stuff), if not I will need to order some also.  Thanks for info Devo and Happy Birthday!