Talk me into a "smoker"

Started by wkahler, April 02, 2013, 03:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

Well here i am with my Traeger and trust me i love it, BUT it seems like i am having that urge to get a "smoker" that i can use just for smoking.  I do a ton of bacon and it works out fine in the Traeger but it seems to not get a killer smokey taste to it all the time.  My pulled pork always taste good and has a great smoke ring on it, but am i selling myself short by not having..................dare i say it................a 6 rack Bradley? 

Let me know what you guys think.  I use my Traeger all the time and love it but i am always looking for new ideas and ways to get more of a smokey flavor to my stuff.  I use oak, hickory and sometimes depends on the meat i have some apple pellets sitting around if need be. 
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

beefmann

while i do not have a Traeger i understand there are good units,. both the 6 rack and 4 rack units are good , with you  doing a ton of bacon i would go with the 6 rack just for the space and but additional 6 racks,  do a  small mod so you can slide all 12 racks into it at  once,,, cold smoke the bacon, then onto the traeger to cook

rexster

Ditto-get the 6 rack Bradley. Be warned don't expect a smoke ring on anything coming out of the Bradley, most of the time it can't get hot enough without a second element mod to produce one. Not saying it's 100%, but pretty close. I do smaller briskets in my DBS 6 rack and with the second element get a fairly nice ring. Flavor is the thing and the Bradley can do it. I do bacon every 3-4 months and it's second to none. We only buy store bought when we don't have my homemade stuff.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

wkahler

I guess it is time to do some shopping!!  I just need to add on to the garage to make my own little smoke shack/ meat room LOL!!!  I am about to take the jump and make me some breakfast sausage and few other treats since i i have a good stock of LEM seasonings sitting around!  Keep the advice coming and the comments i am still open to ideas!

BAM1

I run a Traeger Texas model but when it comes to smoking my bacon I allways default to my trusty Bradley 6 rack.  It pretty much only gets used for sausage, salmon, and bacon now.  But that's usually weekly.

Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

wkahler

Quote from: BAM1 on April 02, 2013, 02:05:59 PM
I run a Traeger Texas model but when it comes to smoking my bacon I allways default to my trusty Bradley 6 rack.  It pretty much only gets used for sausage, salmon, and bacon now.  But that's usually weekly.

You sound like me last year making bacon on what seemed like a weekly basis LOL!!! 

STLstyle

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

wkahler

Love the indoor idea!! How bad does the smoke build up if the garage with the fan running or do you not have an issue at all with using the exhaust fan? 

BAM1

Mines permanently installed in my garage as well and you can only smell enough smoke to know you're smoking something.

Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

STLstyle

Quote from: wkahler on April 03, 2013, 07:25:22 AM
Love the indoor idea!! How bad does the smoke build up if the garage with the fan running or do you not have an issue at all with using the exhaust fan?

Not too bad at all.  Was nice to have this winter.  Keeps the smoke rolling!  :)
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Mark in Ottawa

That bacon looks fantastic! Wow!

Nice looking setups for the Bradleys in the garage! Colour me jelous!  :-[ :-[ :o ;D

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732