First Go At Cheese

Started by Tulla, April 03, 2013, 10:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tulla

Well i thought i would give cheese a go, after seeing some of the help offered with the process.
Didn't think it was that bad except trying to keep the temp under control. The outside temp was -2C, took my eye off the ball for a minute or two but luckily just caught it as it started to sag a bit. Hopefully it will end up ok.

All Set for the Bradley

I think the temp just crept up a bit...doh !!

mikecorn.1

They look good to me

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Tulla

I hope so. Packed it all individually and stuck it in the fridge. There seems to be a  lot of difference of opinion on the time to let the cheese come good. Some say 30 days others say 7, i guess it's suck it and see :-\

squirtthecat

The longer the better!

Like a fine wine.....    ;D

OU812

That there cheese took on some nice color,,,,,,,what kinda cheese is it?

As far as letting the cheese age,,,,try it in a week and see if it tastes like an ash tray

If so give it another week and try again  ;D

Tulla

Thanks Ou812. It was just value cheddar from the supermarket. Smoked for 2hrs 30min with alder.
I will do as you suggest and try it in a week or so.

Smoker John

Looks good, I need to try cold smoking some cheese this year
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Tulla

I have to be honest and say how surprised i am at the comments from you guys who are much more learned than i am. I really thought i made a hash of it by letting the temp creep up but your comments are making me feel a whole lot better about the results.
Thanks guys. :)

pensrock

yep it got a little warm but you did catch it in time. Take a paper towel and pat the oil and any moisture off it. Allow it to cool completely the wrap and put into a zip bag till you want to try it. It will be fine. The darker color comes from the temp being up there. I have noticed the warmerI let it get the more color it takes on. But you got to watch that it does not get too warm like you almost found out.  ::)