Half-Smokes

Started by Habanero Smoker, May 07, 2006, 06:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Those in the DC area will be familiar with the topic, but I just heard about them while listening to a restaurant review on Ben's Chili Bowl. My understanding it is a hot dog (larger then a regular hot dog) which is half beef and half pork that is smoked; then grilled.

Does anyone have a recipe for Half-Smokes. I've been looking for a hot dog recipe, and this seems to be the one that I would like to make.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

IKnowWood

Habs, my father-In-Law (FIL) mentioned this post to me tonight.  I have been away for a while.

apparently one of the local brands that started "Half-Smoked" is still around.  Davis or something.  The original brand has changed a few times.  All I know is it is a Spicer hot-dog / Sausage that is Beef and Pork plus spices.   My FIL used to have the original in his history at work and it was amazing.   There is still a brand as I indicated still for sale in the area.  I will look for it and see what it is.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Habanero Smoker

Thanks. I appreciate that. If I knew the ingredients, I may be able to tinker with it. I also hear they are larger then a regular hot dog. Are they the same diameter, or just longer?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

IKnowWood

Diameter us about what a HebroNational Dinner but Length is a little more.

Check the web site: http://www.bkmillers.com/  In the Meat Specials. 
Briggs. and they also sell Kunzler and Gwantley.  Briggs is the original name, but was to be out of business. Interesting that Kunzler and Gwantley are the more common brands for other sausage and Bacon in the area in other stores.  I am going to check stores we go to to see if they have one of these brands.  Maybe Briggs is the one to find.

My interest is to find them.  I really like spicy sausage.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Oldman

QuoteI've been looking for a hot dog recipe
I have never found a hot dog recipe I liked yet. If you find one let me know~~!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!