Please give advice! Dual probe auber with 6 rack

Started by adamh129, April 04, 2013, 09:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamh129

Hey all,

Onto my second Bradley 6 rack now and am fed up with temp fluctuations..

One of my smokers fluctuates up and down about 10 degrees. (i.e. if set at 230 it will drop to 219 then rise again then drop again)

The other does the same but by about 20 degrees..

Was looking into getting a dual probe auber pid to fix this irritating issue!! But all the posts iv seen using auber pids have not used the digital model and not the 6 rack.

Am i right in going ahead and getting a couple of auber pid dual probes on my smokers to sort out the fluctuation???

Please help! had this problem for far too long...

:(

STLstyle

I have a BBQ guru PID for my 6 rack but the Auber will work he same.  Keeps temp flux to a minimum...

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

TedEbear

Quote from: adamh129 on April 04, 2013, 09:15:00 AM

Am i right in going ahead and getting a couple of auber pid dual probes on my smokers to sort out the fluctuation???

You can use the plug-n-play Auber PID with the digital Bradley.  Most people buy the OBS if they're going with a PID but if you bought it for the 6-rack capacity then you can still use it OK.

paulsnapp

I have the 4 Rack Digital Smoker and use the Auber Dual Probe PID.  It works great - holds my temps within 1 degree of target.  Before the PID, my digital would swing as much as 25 degrees over and 20 degrees under.  Your 6 rack is the same digital SG, your tower is just a little taller.
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod

Defiant

I have a 6 rack and an Auber and it works great, I would recommend it.  Temperature fluctuations can be caused by a lot of different things, wind, vents, adequate power, etc.  When you make sure you have solved the other issues I just mentioned, it does a great job keeping the the temperature very accurate.  If, for example, you are wanting to get to 225 and you are currently not getting there, this won't solve that. 

RAF128

I've got a 6 rack digital but only the single probe Auber PID.    It works great.   Advantage of the dual probe, as I understand it, is that you have a probe for the meat and it shuts off when desired IT is reached.   I can monitor the meat temp with a temp probe but can't shut unless I'm there.   Not a big deal IMO but the dual would be nice.

adamh129

Waltz

I agree with all the previous comments. I have the digital 6 rack which would vary by at least +/-10 F and sometimes as much as 20. I got the Auber single probe and now the temperature is usually within +/-1 F and definitely +/-2, unless I open the door but the temperature recovery is much quicker and less unstable with the Auber even then.

beezer

a dual probe auber pid will improve performance greatly. I have a six rack digital and had the same issue until I upgraded. I wish Bradley would offer this as an option to new customers. I was very disappointed with the out of the box performance of the smoker. I also added a second 500w element to help with cooking temps. When I have time to smoke, I usually load up all the trays. Good luck.