Grill Temp & Internal Temp For Turkey Legs?

Started by chrisluck, April 05, 2013, 07:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisluck

I just got my Bradley Digital Smoker and my first meal will be Smoked Turkey Legs.

I've read the forum and found a fantastic recipe and step-by-step directions.

However, I need to know:

1) What temperature should I set the Smoker at?

2) What internal temperature should the Turkey Legs be at when they're done?

Here's the recipe and directions I'll be following:

Brine:
1 gallon water
1 C. kosher salt
1/2 C. sugar
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp ground pepper
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp ground cumin

Turkey Drumstick Spice Rub:
3 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
3 Tbsp vegetable or light olive oil

Instructions: Rinse turkey legs in cold water, pat dry. For brine, combine brine ingredients in large pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let cool to room temperature. Pour into container (a large, clean bucket works well) and refrigerate brine until cold (approximately 35-40 degrees F).

Place the turkey legs into brine. Let soak four to six hours. Remove legs, rinse well, and discard brine. Dry drumsticks well with paper towels.

In small bowl, combine spice rub ingredients with fork til well mixed. Rub onto turkey legs. Let drumsticks sit out for about one hour. Place turkey legs into smoker. A light-flavored wood is best for turkey.

Smoke legs for four to six hours, til meat is nearly falling off the bone. Remove legs from smoker, and let rest for half an hour. Devour greedily.

smoker pete

I would use 250ºF for the smoker temp and take the turkey legs internal temperature to 180ºF.  Vent fully open.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

chrisluck

Thank you Pete!

And would you recommend wrapping the legs in foil?  Or just putting them directly on the racks?

beefmann

Quote from: smoker pete on April 05, 2013, 07:37:00 AM
I would use 250ºF for the smoker temp and take the turkey legs internal temperature to 180ºF.  Vent fully open.

x2

chrisluck

Two quick final questions before I make a bee line to the store.

1) Do I need to wrap these turkey legs in foil?

2) Should I mess with doing a dry rub?  Or should they be fantastic by just doing a 24 hour Brine.

smoker pete

Quote from: chrisluck on April 05, 2013, 08:01:14 AM
Two quick final questions before I make a bee line to the store.

1) Do I need to wrap these turkey legs in foil?

I would NOT wrap them in foil

2) Should I mess with doing a dry rub?  Or should they be fantastic by just doing a 24 hour Brine.

Depends on what flavor profiles you're trying to achieve but brining the legs and also doing a dry rub will not hurt the legs.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Habanero Smoker

The recipe looks good. I don't like my turkey cooked to that high of an internal temperature. Generally will take my turkey legs to 165°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hvhunter

Im curious. If you're cooking at a high temp of 250 until it is done at 165, why do you brine? Just for flavor?