First Pork butt ..... wish me luck!!!!

Started by stevo133080, April 06, 2013, 08:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo133080

Have a big family dinner tomorrow around 2 ish,  family decided I was the cook,  and what better way to make people like me than to throw something in my Bradley  ;D,  After much debate between Ribs,  Brisket or whatever else,  decided to try pulled pork for the first time.  Got 15 lbs (2 7.5 lb butts) from Sams club last weekend,  but then had to wait with anticipation all week long before I could get it started.  I guess im wierd like that.  I cant sleep for days before I get so excided to try new stuff. 

Anyways thursday rolled around,  Made the final choice of ingredients for the rub from the cupboard. 

I also decided what the heck,  and made an injection out of my 2 favorite juices ;D

Unwrapped and pulled from the fridge this morning and this is what I had

She is now in the smoker for the next I dont know how long

Guess we'll have to see where this journey takes us.  It may be the deciding factor whether im in the family or removed :D.  Ill post results (Of the meat and family staus) when all this is done!!!

drano

Looks like thats going to be great!
Give that plenty of time to cook--you can FTC if its done early. 
I run my smoker at 230 deg for butts.  Make sure you keep water in the pan--it slowly boils/steams off. 

stevo133080

Will do.  Planning on taking it out either sometime late tonight or early in the morning.  Will make sure to bring it to the right temp and then FTC it.  Smells delicious.  I'm suprised how much I can smell the jack mixed in with the spices!!!  Hopefully some of it burns off,  otherwise the kids might be in for a long day tomorrow!! ;D

beefmann

stevo133080

Well ,  It turned out great and i will definately do another one.  We had so much food left over even after feeding 20 or so people.  Everybody loved it and now weve got plenty of left overs  :P

This was after 5 hours of hickory smoke

And this was after 25 hours of total cook time.  It seemed to stall at about 140-150 for about 5 hours,  then slowly started climbing again.  Finally reached 190 degrees by 9am sunday morning,  after putting it in there at 8am saturday morning.

We did the FTC for about 2 1-2 hours,  added some boiling apple juice to it before we wrapped it to keep up the temp

Me and the wife got it all pulled (The dog loved the fat we pulled out of it)

And this was what we ended up with....

Plenty of delicious food!!!! 

Thanks for the advice guys.  Turned out great and I think im still in the family!!! ;D

Tenpoint5

Looks really good. How was the flavor of the Jack after the cooking process?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

stevo133080

It had a titch of bourbon taste in it,  but it wasnt as much as I expected.  Between the 2 butts,  I was able to get about 3/4 of the bottle of jack and about 1/2 of that bottle of apple juice injected into it before it started coming out.  I was really suprised at how much it swelled up before the juices started coming out of it.  Compared to a brisket or pork loin cut of meat,  this stuff held alot more liquid before it started leaking.  I would definately try it again,  but im not sure if its noticeable enough to waste a whole bottle of jack again but it was definately tasty!!!

BigRich

We started with apple juice too.  Then we tried vinegar.  Now we use apple cider vinegar.  Once you put vinegar on pork, you won't use anything else.  Hell, the wife adds it when she does a loin on the stove top.  Vinegar to pork is what lemon is to fish.  The two were just meant to be together.

beefmann