Auber with new Digital Smoker - Puck not advancing

Started by hvhunter, April 25, 2013, 05:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvhunter

Hello everyone. I am helping out a friend who just purchased the 6 rack digital smoker and a Auber pid. I have an Original with a Auber so I am familiar with the setup. When we set the smoker to kick off on C02, it does not turn on. Does he need to turn on any of the digital controls prior to starting the Auber?  Without touching any of the digital controls (completely off), the heating element is controlled solely by the Auber. We plugged in the smoker unit direct to the outlet as recommended.

Any idea's what we are doing wrong? Thank you in advance.

GusRobin

I am not familiar with the DBS and Auber as I have an OBS, but did you set "r1" or "r2" on the PID? If so than that is not the issue. If you want to see if it is a PID issue, plug a lamp in the PID where you would plug the SG and see if it goes on when it is supposed to. If it does then the problem is with the SG, if it doesn't then the problem is with the PID or how you are setting it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

paulsnapp

For the digital model, you can't control the smoker with the Auber.  You must turn the digital unit on and control the smoker portion from the digital keypad.  If you hook the Auber to the smoker and program it as you have described, at the time programmed the Auber will send power to the smoker - but - unless you press the on button on the digital keypad nothing will happen.  Even if you press the on button the smoker unit will do nothing because you have not set anything for it on the digital keypad - and you can't set anything for the smoker unit until after the unit is on.  So - bottom line, if you look at the recommended wiring setup for the digital model, you do not plug the smoker unit into the Auber, you plug the digital smoker unit into a regular AC outlet and control the smoker unit from the digital keypad.
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod

hvhunter

Paul, thanks for the reply.  That really sucks that with the digital; you are not fully automatic.  I was afraid of something like this, but couldn't find it.

RAF128

I've got a 6 rack digital and a single probe auber.    The PID controls the heating element.   I've got to turn on the digital control and program it for the length of time for the smoker to make smoke and advance the biskets.

hvhunter

With me not being familiar with the digital SG, can you program it as soon as you turn on the unit? Example, turn on the DBS, and say turn on SG in 2 hrs, to run for a duration of 3 hrs then turn off?

Alanfromwis

Quote from: paulsnapp on April 26, 2013, 02:56:31 AM
For the digital model, you can't control the smoker with the Auber.  You must turn the digital unit on and control the smoker portion from the digital keypad.  If you hook the Auber to the smoker and program it as you have described, at the time programmed the Auber will send power to the smoker - but - unless you press the on button on the digital keypad nothing will happen.  Even if you press the on button the smoker unit will do nothing because you have not set anything for it on the digital keypad - and you can't set anything for the smoker unit until after the unit is on.  So - bottom line, if you look at the recommended wiring setup for the digital model, you do not plug the smoker unit into the Auber, you plug the digital smoker unit into a regular AC outlet and control the smoker unit from the digital keypad.

One additional note, when digital smoker is first turned on it defaults to 4 hours of smoke and advances 1 cycle, so if you have 2 pucks on the runway plus some in the stack it will push the first on onto the burner.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

paulsnapp

To hvhunter's question the answer is yes.  You can plug the smoker generator into the output socket on the Auber and program the first step for the Auber for your smoke cycle time and the code that controls the smoker.  Turn the Auber on and it will have power to the smoker generator.  You can then press the on button on the digital display.  You can either leave the default at 4 hours or change it and advance a puck to the burner.  When the Auber reaches the time setting you have programmed in with the code for the smoke generator, it will turn off the power going from the Auber to the smoker generator which will end the smoke cycle.  So - if you do that, you can have the Auber control your smoke cycle.
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod