Light Smoke Flavor

Started by jdhunt0, April 07, 2013, 05:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdhunt0

I have had my smoker since after Christmas last year. I love it and have used it every weekend but 2-3 due to the weather since then. Everything has turned out great so far, but aside from one batch of jerky, everything has a very light or non existing smoke flavor. You can smell it on the food, but it does not seems to leave any taste. I used 4 hours of smoke on some baby back ribs and chicken this weekend and the same thing. I even used mesquite.  Any ideas?

beefmann

was the smoke light or kinda heavy? if it is on the light  side very light in the box , might be the pucks may b e damp

jdhunt0

Pretty light, and I have been keeping my pucks in the basement.

I have the variety pack that is still sealed, I'll try some from it next time.

Thanks. Anything else I should look at?

Grouperman941

If you are eating right out of the smoker, the smoke has not had a chance to penetrate deeper. Some foods, esp chicken IME, taste a lot smokier the second or third day.

I am not suggesting to wait 3 days to eat what you smoke, but resting an hour or more might let the smoke get deeper. YMMV

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Habanero Smoker

When you empty you water bowl, do the bisquettes look completely charred or do you see a lot of unburnt wood particles?

Have you tried any left overs? If so has the smoke flavor taste "stronger"?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jdhunt0

Most of the pucks look to be burned completely to me.  Leftovers don't seem to have any more smoke flavor than they do if I eat right out of the smoker.

Habanero Smoker

Smoke flavor is subjective. Although you are already using more smoke then most of us on ribs (I'm assuming you are not foiling); if you don't like the results you are getting, try using longer smoking times, and/or stronger woods.
Smoke Flavors

If you are cooking with the vent wide open, try a 3/4 opening or maybe half. The only exception would be if you are cooking chicken with skin. If so keep the vent fully open at least during the start of the cook.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jdhunt0

I'm cooking with the vent all the way open as is most often suggested on here.

I'll play around some more with vent positions.

Habanero Smoker

Here is a guideline for vent openings.

Vent Openings

I
         don't
                   inhale.

robertgate

I am looking for a vent for my kitchen but i am not sure about its working. Can any one suggest me.

jdhunt0

Smoked spare ribs, a boston butt, and bologna this weekend with the vent half open.  It did wonders for the smoke flavor.  Thanks guys.