Big Mistake!

Started by T.Dubya, April 05, 2013, 02:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.Dubya

Hey Everybody,

Spring is here and so is smoking season!
I made a big mistake today... Set up the smoker to cook at 225 and stuck a brined chicken in at 2:00, I went back to work and discovered my heat generator wasn't plugged in the whole time when I got home. ( chicken was in the smoker at 110 degrees for roughly 2.5 hours.....

I know everybody is going to tell me I should have wait to get the smoker up to temp before putting the bird in, but I only had 20 mins for lunch break.....

I have the smoker now up to 250. I guess my question is, will the bird still be safe to eat? or has it been in the danger zone too long?

Thanks for all the help!!

Cheers

TW

tskeeter

I don't know the real answer, but my approach is when in doubt, throw it out.  Another chicken is much cheaper than a trip to the emergency room to treat your food poisoning.  Even if you have to add in a trip to the Olive Garden for the Mrs., instead of smoked chicken, it's cheaper than the emergency room.

GusRobin

Quote from: tskeeter on April 05, 2013, 02:59:42 PM
I don't know the real answer, but my approach is when in doubt, throw it out.  Another chicken is much cheaper than a trip to the emergency room to treat your food poisoning.  Even if you have to add in a trip to the Olive Garden for the Mrs., instead of smoked chicken, it's cheaper than the emergency room.
X2
Chicken is cheap - throw it out and order a pizza.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

T.Dubya

Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing... But it just looks sooo damn tastey....

Take-out fish and chips it is!

TedEbear

I've read in the past that you have 4 hours to get past the danger zone (140*F) when you start to cook poultry.

KyNola

I would toss it if it were mine.  That's too close for comfort for me.