Trying to decide on model to get?

Started by kalex1114, April 11, 2013, 05:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalex1114

Hello

I'm fairly new to smoking.  This is my first smoker, I currently have Charbroil infra red grill that I have used for smoking and slow bbq stuff before.

My uncle got me BTIS1 version of the smoker from amazon as a gift.  As I started doing research on this site now I'm thinking if i should return BTIS1 version and exchange it for new BS611 version.  Difference in price is around $110 from amazon.   Question is should I do it?  :)

Those that had original version and new version of the smoker is it worth it getting new version?  I'm also thinking of getting PID controller for it once I get it setup and working

Thanks

Alex

beefmann

there is very little difference between the two units, only difference is that the temperature control is in the smoke generator vs the bottom of the box, if you are  going to be running a  PID then it  really doesent  matter at all which unit you  get.

my opinion is keep the unit you  have to save  time and money .. use the money you  save to buy the PID, a  remote thermometer like a maverick ET-732, and storage shed if your gonna  leave it outside like several do.

paulsnapp

The newer model has these changes:

Stainless steel cabinet - not sure this is necessary since you never clean the inside of the smoke tower.
Larger feet - this fixes a problem they with the smaller feet placing stress on plastic panel and causing it to crack.
Removeable panel for servicing and cleaning the Smoke Generator - necessary from time to time.
Rack supports to keep racks from tipping as you pull them out - my digital Bradley does not have this and not a problem for me.
Temperature controls moved to the Smoke Generator - temps will still have large swings and will need a PID to eliminate with either model.

Others on this forum may be aware of something I have missed that might have been a change worth thinking about.  To me, the changes were not all that significant but you will have to decide yourself.  I would keep the one you have and add a PID.

Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod

kalex1114

Thank you both.  Very good points.  $110 difference in price pretty much covers single probe auber pid.  Plus saves me the headache of shipping it back and waiting for exchange.

KyNola

Are you going to make sausages and smoke them in your Bradley?  If the answer is "yes" then I would recommend you retain the one you have and purchase a PID.  If you are not going to make and smoke sausage then I would recommend you exchange the smoker for the newer model due to the upgrades.  Temp swings are not an issue on most smoking applications.  Making sausage and some methods of smoking fish are the only two applications where temp swings may effect the outcome.

Do a little more research before making a decision.

Before I forget, welcome to the Forum!

kalex1114

Thanks KyNola

not sure if i'll be making sausages or not.  Maybe down the line.  According to my research if i get PID then my temps will be controlled and only if i don't get the PID then swing of the temps will be a factor.  I have been reading and researching for about a week now :)

TedEbear

Quote from: kalex1114 on April 11, 2013, 07:45:36 AM
According to my research if i get PID then my temps will be controlled and only if i don't get the PID then swing of the temps will be a factor.

I've never smoked a sausage in my life and I probably won't anytime soon.  However, when I added a $45 Auber PID controller to my OBS it totally changed it.  I no longer have to get up in the middle of the night and move the temp control slider to compensate for the changing ambient air temp, wind, or anything else.  That thing used to drift WAY off.  Now when the recipe calls for smoking ribs, a pork butt, etc., at a specific temp I set it there and it holds it within 1-2 degrees.

I installed mine in the SG box.  I don't know if you can do that with the new model with the temp dial on the box or not.

kalex1114

Thats a neat mod.  How hard is this one to install?  Which model is it on the auberins' site?  I was thinking of getting the external model of the PID controller but this one looks neat

Defiant

I agree with the others on getting the Auber PID, that will have a bigger impact on stabilizing temperatures, plus for things like salmon and sausage, you can program multiple temperature and duration cycles.

drano

Welcome to Bradly world.
I'd recommend keeping it, and after a few smokes, decide if you want a PID. 
If you like drinking beer and babysitting the smoker to maintain temp, you've got a nice outfit as is.  I couldn't hold good temps with the slider, but others have--maybe I don't have enough patients. 
If you'd rather put the meat in, set the temp, and not have to adjust the temp slider, a PID is awesome. 
+1 on Beefman's advice for a maverick ET-732.  It can be set for min/max alarm temps, so you'll know if your smoker got hotter or colder than your set range. 

kalex1114

I had the maverick and used it with my grill.  decided to upgrade it to igrill so i'll be using it.  Not sure if i like babysitting the grill as i tend to get distracted easily :)  So i think i'll be getting PID controller.  Found TedEbear's posts on the custom install so I might try it that way or just get the plug in version of the controller.

Thanks again

beefmann

sounds like your well on your way and if you  have more questions  go ahead and ask .. you  will get several responses like above

TedEbear

Quote from: kalex1114 on April 11, 2013, 08:59:24 AMFound TedEbear's posts on the custom install so I might try it that way or just get the plug in version of the controller.

I mostly followed the how-to from here:  PID Controller  The one in the instructions is the same one I have. 

Alanfromwis

Auber has a model available that has a built in 1200 watt relay so it does not need the SSR making wiring simpler.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

jburdt

I have the 611 and love it. it is also my first one so I can not comment on the other. Had it about a year and my pid shipped out today I don't make sasuage either but do a fair number of over night smokes and want something to control the temp over night. Either way which ever you decide to keep or get I think you can't go wrong.