Whole pork loin internal temp

Started by stephensaved, April 11, 2013, 02:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephensaved

I'm a pretty experienced pork shoulder smoker.  I always go for the 190 internal temp "pulled pork" internal temp.

I'm wanting to do a whole pork loin and was wondering if going to 190 would be a good or bad idea.

beefmann

pork is done at 165 f according to FDA so anything above that is considered done,,, 190 to 195 is great for pulling

stephensaved

I understand the pork loin would be done at 160 but would going to the pulled pork temp for the whole loin dry it out or just make great tender pulled pork loin?

I have a 5 pound whole loin (not the two small tenderloins)

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  I took my last one to 156 F then FTC for an hour.  It was very moist.

FLBentRider

A loin I would pull at 145F.

IMHO, 165F is your grandmothers temp for pork.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

hal4uk

Quote from: FLBentRider on April 11, 2013, 06:18:11 PM

x2 (for a loin)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Grouperman941

Quote from: stephensaved on April 11, 2013, 03:04:20 PM
I understand the pork loin would be done at 160 but would going to the pulled pork temp for the whole loin dry it out or just make great tender pulled pork loin?

You would probably have to add moisture with some sort of sauce. There is not enough fat.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

beefmann

Quote from: stephensaved on April 11, 2013, 03:04:20 PM

inject the loin with apple cider  for some juice and then take to 190

Habanero Smoker

If you are going the route of pulling the meat. Below is a link to how I make pulled pork from the loin. In that recipe I took it to 185°F so 190°F will be good, but since posting that recipe I have cooked them to 175°F; they are just a bit harder to pull, but can be pulled at that temperature or chopped. The sauce you add is your choice, I tend to like vaunted vinegar or mustard style sauces.
Pulled Pork Loin with Sauce

If you just serving sliced smoked pork loin, the USDA recommended internal temperature is 145°F, I generally will take mine to 140 - 142°F. At those temperatures you may see some pink meat, a lot of people don't like to see any pink in their pork. If that is the case, go to 150°F, but it will be a little drier.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smoker pete

Quote from: hal4uk on April 11, 2013, 06:53:25 PM

x2 (for a loin)

X3 for pork loin temp (145-150ºF max) ... Also, a pork loin is too lean to use for pulled pork!

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

squirtthecat

stephensaved

Thanks everyone.

1st, I would never chop any pork.  A shoulder is best cooked to the pulled pork temp.

I agree that a loin does not have the fat and should not be cooked to pulled pork temps.

So, 145 then double foil wrap, towel wrap and let sit?  Thin slices along with home made slaw for our church Spring family reunion?

Thanks again for all the input. ;D

squirtthecat

Sounds like a plan!

What time should we all get there?  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: smoker pete on April 12, 2013, 10:22:03 AM
Quote from: hal4uk on April 11, 2013, 06:53:25 PM

x2 (for a loin)

X3 for pork loin temp (145-150ºF max) ... Also, a pork loin is too lean to use for pulled pork!

I have use it for pulled pork on several occasions. The texture is about the same as pulled chicken..

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)