Ribs

Started by BigRich, April 13, 2013, 05:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRich

Unknown rub- I can't remember which one this is

And into the fridge for a few hours

Not really sure what to do with these

mikecorn.1

You can also smoke or I like to grill those pieces for tasty treats while you wait for the ribs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

grill them as tasty treats or appitizers

KyNola

Rib tips!  Smoke 'em!

squirtthecat

BigRich

Into the smoker at 225 321.

BigRich

I have very little faith that this is going to taste good

We'll see...

BigRich

Finished

Man was I wrong. These are awesome!

BigRich

My man cave is missing a TV.

Habanero Smoker

Nice ribs. I use to make rib tips out of them, but since someone posted a recipe for McRibs, I now use rib tips for that.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigRich

A skillet and liquid smoke?  That should be considered blasphemy on the Bradley Forum. My 2cents.

BigRich

Here's what they looked like when they were done.  Too done actually.  FOTB and a little dry unfortunately.

TedEbear

Quote from: BigRich on April 14, 2013, 07:53:43 AMToo done actually.

How long was the total cook time?

I just finished a couple of slabs of baby backs.  I'd love to dig into them but I'm saving them for when my better half gets home from work in about an hour.  I did 2.5-2.5-1, with the middle time period steaming in a baking dish with some apple juice in the oven.  I made some Vermont Maple Glaze Pig Candy with the drippings. 

hal4uk

Quote from: BigRich on April 14, 2013, 07:53:43 AM
Here's what they looked like when they were done.  Too done actually.  FOTB and a little dry unfortunately.

BigRich, they LOOK pretty good.  Sorry to hear they didn't turn out just like you wanted.
Ribs are a little "persnickety", and take many attempts before you get exactly what you're personally looking for (no matter what that is)

Just gonna say this (knowing that it could start a BBQ WAR --- It's just my opinion)...
I think that back ribs are more forgiving (easier to get a better consistently good result with).
Don't get me wrong...  I love STL cut spares, but they do have some drawbacks.

First, they're just harder to cook properly.
(I'm gonna get all kinds of BLOWBACK on this, but, I believe it to be true).

Secondly, and assuming you trim/cook them with great proficiency, they still have (along some of the bones), some non-chewable cartilage where (I think) there should be just meat.

Thirdly, most folks say spares are "meatier".  I never separated and weighed the bones/meat so I can't say.
I know that spares have more meat between the bones (as opposed to "on top") than back ribs.

So, (in general) just picture the height of bones with meat "on top" compared to the height of bones with meat between bones.
What I'm trying to say, is that back ribs, with the meat (pretty much) on top of the bones, have the bone positioned to help protect from drying out the meat.

With spares... You have the heat/smoke hitting BOTH sides of the meat (it's mostly between the bones), and, as good as that sounds, that is where a slight mis-calculation can be twice as detrimental to your finished product.

All that said, let me repeat, I love good STL cut spare ribs.  Lordy, Mercy!!!

Anyhow... I expect many of my good friends will object to this analysis, and that's OK. 
I love 'em, and they ain't gonna hurt my feelings  ;)
Just saying what I think, and hope it helps.
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

BigRich

I cooked them for 6 hours (321).  When I pulled them and sauced them the last hour, they already looked done.  The meat had pulled back pretty far already.

I had the oven set to 230.  Maybe next time I'll do 220.  I also didn't put the ribs meat side down when they were in the foil.

I'm sure it was a combination of a few minor things that made them good but a bit over done.

I remember smoking baby backs several times and not having a problem.  I'm just saying ;)