Ribs coming out dry

Started by darkandlong, April 13, 2013, 06:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkandlong

Getting frustrated...

I buy my baby backs from Costco.  Cut them in the middle and typically put 2 half slabs per rack.  I've tried 2/2/1 and 2/2.5/1 using a recipe somewhere from here or the database at susanminor and while the flavour is great the meat cap on top of the ribs is really well done and basically have the texture of a well done store bought unmarinated pork chop.  It's like the meat is too lean and there isn't enough fat or there's just TOO much of a meat cap.  The half with the shorter ribs tend to cook up better and have the texture I'm looking for but still not quite there.  I'm not looking for fall off the bone, just juicy.

Is it possible the ribs are just too meaty?  Should I set the Bradlet warmer or cooler (I'm at 225 using a probe thermometer)?  Should I just be buying the smaller packs? More or less liquid in the foil?

Can anyone throw me a (rib) bone?

Habanero Smoker

I don't cook baby backs too often, but over the last year I have been thinking about it. For about a year, I have been seeing baby backs, like you described, very heavy on the meat, and looking more like a small pork chop then a rib.

If you like the texture of the meat, except for the crusted top layer, you have the time and temperature alright. If there is liquid in the foil when you remove the ribs, there is not need to increase the liquid. If you want to stick with the thicker ribs, try foiling longer, and make sure the ribs are placed meat side down when you foil; maybe 2-3-.5; but since you are foiling longer that .5 may have to be cult to 15 to 20 minutes. If you sauce at the end, use a thinner sauce (glaze). You can easily make a glaze from your favorite thick barbecue sauce by adding a juice like apple, white grape, pineapple, mango etc.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RedJada

I just did a few slabs of BB's yesterday. I always use the 3-2-1 method adding a about a cup of apple juice per slab when I foil. I keep the temp at 220*, I try not to go over. I sauce with sweet baby rays for the last hour. Always come out juicy, just a little tug to pull off the bone. One thing is I buy by meat from a local meat market/butcher, they do there own harvesting so meat needs to be eaten or froze within 24 hours.
Maybe you can try getting your ribs somewhere else?

beefmann

try soaking them a few hours in apple juice first and also keep your bowl full of water or juice