A Must Try Experiment

Started by terry08, April 16, 2013, 03:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry08

Many years ago I was given the title of Potato Salad King, by family members. Thus meaning that at every family function I must make the salad. Being that my smoked deviled eggs are always a great hit. I am going to try smoked potato salad.
I will peel and par boil the potatoes, then spread out on a frog mat to smoke. Will slice onions in half to smoke along with the celery stalks. Might even smoke my celery seeds. Should be interesting Potato Salad.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Waltz

Sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out. I would guess some items would take the smoke better than others and it would be good to know which.

Tenpoint5

Terry I'm on my phone or I would do it. Do a google search for  cilantro potato salad site:forum.bradleysmoker.com  You will find probably the best tater salad I have tasted in a long time.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ragweed

Sounds great!  Gonna be watching this one!

terry08

Rethinking my options. Since I use black olives, celery, onions, pimientos, and eggs in the salad. I may not smoke the potatoes, just everything else. Don't want to over do the smoke flavor. I also add smoked paprika. Will give it a try this weekend.

terry08

Tenpoint, I found it. Looks like a different twist on southern potato salad. But I love cilantro, and bacon. Will give this one a try tomorrow. Sounds delicious.

destrouk

done it for a laugh also did veggies use alder no more than 2 hours !!!!!!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: terry08 on April 16, 2013, 01:29:36 PM
Tenpoint, I found it. Looks like a different twist on southern potato salad. But I love cilantro, and bacon. Will give this one a try tomorrow. Sounds delicious.

You gonna like it!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tater

Hmmm, I've done smoked potato salad several times.  I only smoke the spuds and none of the other ingredients.  I've gone up to two hours with the smoke and thought the spuds could use a little more.  I never even thought to smoke the other ingredients.  Good idea!  I've made smoked deviled eggs many, many times.  They are very popular around the holidays but I get requests all year long.

hal4uk

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 16, 2013, 05:39:26 AM
Terry I'm on my phone or I would do it. Do a google search for  cilantro potato salad site:forum.bradleysmoker.com  You will find probably the best tater salad I have tasted in a long time.

X2!
I know a fella in East Texas that resembles that recipe ;-)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

terry08

Ok, I have pondered over this all day and have come to my final decision. I don't want to lose the crunch of the salad which everyone loves. So I have decided not to smoke the onions, or the celery. Don't want them getting soft and mushy, I will smoke the potatoes, eggs, olives for one hour. That with the smoked paprika, should be just enough flavor to awaken the taste buds. Can't wait to try this.
I picked up a sack of apple pellets today and did a test burn in my six inch dust logs. Got two hours of good smoke. With the sawdust I only get one hour. Want to use the apple for the salad.
I love it when a plan comes together.