Author Topic: Stupid newbie Question  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Dave Schmidt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Stupid newbie Question
« on: July 01, 2004, 11:32:06 PM »
I just got my Bradley and am trying to season it. I noticed that if you put 4 biscuits in the tube, that on about 2 burn and the others sit there. Do I need to put in extra biscuits to push the other oners forward? In other words, if I plan on burning 6, should I load 8 or 9?

Thanks so much!
Dave

Offline Dave Schmidt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: Stupid newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 11:40:00 PM »
Sorry for the triple most. The site kept giving me an error message!

Offline Copper Creek

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 10
Re: Stupid newbie Question
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 12:11:31 AM »
This is common.  You need to order a pair of Bubba Pucks from ChezBubba.com.  These are burn proof pucks that push your smoking pucks through.

Steve

Offline Fuzzybear

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 632
Re: Stupid newbie Question
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 01:01:18 AM »
Welcome Dave...sorry about the fatal error codes going on...it will be fixed soon I'm sure, in the meantime you can just delete those prior posts....I'm finding that when you post reply and get the message, you need to ignore it as it posts anyway, just click on the active topics bar above and you'll see it's already there....

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Offline Dave Schmidt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: Stupid newbie Question
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 02:37:01 PM »
Thanks, I deleted them.
And I did order the Bubba pucks. Jim is a great guy!
Also, where does one find proper temperature guides for smoking different kinds of meats? And total cook time?
The Bradley book tells you to take meat out and finish in the oven! I don't want to do that, unless its the only way to get great results.

Offline Cold Smoke

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 328
Re: Stupid newbie Question
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 03:29:59 PM »
Welcome Dave, I believe the Smoke and Spice book says to preheat smoker to 200-225 for almost every recipe. This would be the usual range for meats such as chicken, pork, beef etc. You'd likely want to drop that temp down to 140-170 for fish. This is a general guideline- maybe some of the other smokin' gurus here would have more specific temps. As for the total cook time that will depend on what/how much your smoking and at what temp. You'll be primarily concerned with ensuring the internal temp of the item your cooking is in the safe range- that will vary and I don't have that info handy. Although I believe pork is safe to eat once internal temp hits 160-162 you need to have your internal temp on a butt hit approx 190 before it's "pullable" which is often the intended result. And it can take a few/several hours for your pork butt to go from 160 to 190. I don't believe I've ever finished something off in the oven yet- smoking takes time and the Bradley will get you there if you time things properly which will take some experimentation. I'm not a big fan of that low-budget el cheapo recipe book they toss in with the smoker.

There are probably several centuries worth of smoking experience on this forum- just ask- great bunch of knowledgeable people.

Happy Independence Day for those south of the 49th!!

Cold Smoke

Offline curttate

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 19
Re: Stupid newbie Question
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 02:02:01 AM »
I agree, the recipe book that came with the Bradley smoker ain't  good!  I just received my smoker this week.  However, there is a real good online 34 page recipe book that also has info on smoking, curing and brine.  The web site is www.smoke-house.com.  It is the Luhr Jensen product website.  I don't know whey they changed the web site name from www.luhrjensen.com.  I think you will like the recipes and you can easily use them in smoking in the Bradley smoker.  I started out with a Luhr Jensen Little Chief Smoker.  I still have a lot to learn.[:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br />Welcome Dave, I believe the Smoke and Spice book says to preheat smoker to 200-225 for almost every recipe. This would be the usual range for meats such as chicken, pork, beef etc. You'd likely want to drop that temp down to 140-170 for fish. This is a general guideline- maybe some of the other smokin' gurus here would have more specific temps. As for the total cook time that will depend on what/how much your smoking and at what temp. You'll be primarily concerned with ensuring the internal temp of the item your cooking is in the safe range- that will vary and I don't have that info handy. Although I believe pork is safe to eat once internal temp hits 160-162 you need to have your internal temp on a butt hit approx 190 before it's "pullable" which is often the intended result. And it can take a few/several hours for your pork butt to go from 160 to 190. I don't believe I've ever finished something off in the oven yet- smoking takes time and the Bradley will get you there if you time things properly which will take some experimentation. I'm not a big fan of that low-budget el cheapo recipe book they toss in with the smoker.

There are probably several centuries worth of smoking experience on this forum- just ask- great bunch of knowledgeable people.

Happy Independence Day for those south of the 49th!!

Cold Smoke
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Offline curttate

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 19
Re: Stupid newbie Question
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 02:05:35 AM »
I bought the Bubba pucks and I am still having the exact same problem you are described.  I just got my smoker this week.  I ordered and received the Bubba pucks before the smoker arrived.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Schmidt</i>
<br />I just got my Bradley and am trying to season it. I noticed that if you put 4 biscuits in the tube, that on about 2 burn and the others sit there. Do I need to put in extra biscuits to push the other oners forward? In other words, if I plan on burning 6, should I load 8 or 9?

Thanks so much!
Dave
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Offline Oldman

  • Member Extraordinaire
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,654
Re: Stupid newbie Question
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 02:49:26 AM »
When using the bubba pucks they advance the last puck  to the burner. The last puck will stay on the burner.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Offline whitetailfan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 799
  • Nice Rack
Re: Stupid newbie Question
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 04:17:55 AM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by curttate</i>
<br />I agree, the recipe book that came with the Bradley smoker ain't  good!  I just received my smoker this week.  However, there is a real good online 34 page recipe book that also has info on smoking, curing and brine.  The web site is www.smoke-house.com.  It is the Luhr Jensen product website.  I don't know whey they changed the web site name from www.luhrjensen.com.  I think you will like the recipes and you can easily use them in smoking in the Bradley smoker.  I started out with a Luhr Jensen Little Chief Smoker.  I still have a lot to learn.[:)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
curttate,
Neither of those hyper-links works?  Can you check the address on smoke-house and maybe edit it[?]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Offline curttate

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 19
Re: Stupid newbie Question
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 04:03:15 AM »
After typing in www.smoke-house.com for the third time,I finally got connected to www.smoke-house.com which is the Luhr Jensen web site.  I agree, there is something erratic about that website address.  Sorry you were not successful in connecting to the site.[:0]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by curttate</i>
<br />I agree, the recipe book that came with the Bradley smoker ain't  good!  I just received my smoker this week.  However, there is a real good online 34 page recipe book that also has info on smoking, curing and brine.  The web site is www.smoke-house.com.  It is the Luhr Jensen product website.  I don't know whey they changed the web site name from www.luhrjensen.com.  I think you will like the recipes and you can easily use them in smoking in the Bradley smoker.  I started out with a Luhr Jensen Little Chief Smoker.  I still have a lot to learn.[:)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
curttate,
Neither of those hyper-links works?  Can you check the address on smoke-house and maybe edit it[?]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">