Pizza on the Grill

Started by jaeger, May 10, 2006, 10:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaeger

I made a couple pizza on the grill tonight. I used a fresh pizza dough, a pizza blend of cheese along with some fresh shredded colby, pulled pork from the last pork butt and bbq sauce made by iceman that I had been saving for just the occasion.
If you like pizza and bbq and have not tried this, you are really missing something.

nsxbill

Love pizza off the grill.  One of the NSX group meetings I attended last year had me making "Par-baked" crusts for people to make them.  So easy and a neat option that allows the most finicky of eaters who like pizza to essentially put their pizza together from offered toppings and then just quickly prepare on the grill.  I like gadgets.  I have a couple of the Pizzapro dough presses.  I one that does flats and another that does the little par-baked rounds that you might have purchased before as a fund raiser at school, etc.  I just cook the pizza flats on one side, rotating every couple of minutes, then flip and add some pizza sauce, cheese and what ever toppings desired and just keep rotating clockwise 15° every minute until the crust is nice and browned...I like mine a little crunchy.  Nice flavor and so so easy.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

iceman

Dang jaeger, bbq pizza. Now that sounds good. Do you have any good dough recipes? The store bought dough up here is not very good. Glad you liked the sauce. I'll save you some from the next batch run.

jaeger

QuoteNice flavor and so so easy.

nxsbill,
I think you are the first one I ever heard of making pizza on the grill. I was suprised how easy and quick it was to make. I gave my neighbor a sample last night and tonight his family wanted to know if they could order take out!

iceman,
I took the easy way out and used Pillsbury in the canister like bisquits for the oven are packaged in. I know that IKW makes a lot of pizza dough so maybe he or nxsbill could help out with a good dough recipe.
Next time you make a batch of BBQ sauce let me know, I'm all in!!!
I'll send you a check or paypal just let me know. You are going to be making double triple size batches before you know it!! :o

Habanero Smoker

I've been making breads and pizzas on the grill for a few years. In August of 2004, I took a class on Smoke Roasting and Grilling. During that class we grilled flat bread, pizzas and smores.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Hab, do you have any half easy dough recipes for pizza? Some of the ones I've seen are harder than making bread! On one of the food network shows they had some Italian gal that figured out a way to mix different flours to simulate her homeland dough but I don't remember which show. (Way to many rum and cokes since then). :o ::) :D

Habanero Smoker

I am still in the middle of reorganizing stuff. I know I will be able to locate it tomorrow. That is if it stops raining, and I can get to the storage area.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

It's odd, but sometimes things happen for a reason. The mailman just delivered a book I order from Amazon.com; the CIA's Grilling (No! This is not a book on homeland security, and/or torture). I ordered it because it advertised international dishes you can prepare on the grill. I'll still look for that bread recipe, because that bread was good.

They do have a pizza recipe, similar to the one we did in class.

2 ½ t active dry yeast
2 C. warm water
2 C. all-purpose flour
1 C. semolina flour, plus extra for dusting
¼ C. Olive oil

Combine yeast and water in a bowl, stir until dissolved. Let stand until a thick foam forms.

Add flours and the salt to the yeast and stir by hand, or mix at medium speed in a mixer using a dough hook; until the dough is smooth and elastic.

Place dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rest at room temperature until nearly doubled in size (about 1 ½ hours).

Next gently fold the dough over and allow to rise for another 45 minutes.

Roll or stretch the dough into a 12" circle. Lightly dust a 12" pizza pan with semolina flour and lay the dough on top of the pan. Brush the top of the dough completely with some of the olive oil.

Carefully remove the dough from the pan and place it oil side down on a hot grill. While dough is on the grill, brush the top with olive oil. When dough begins to puff up (about 3-4 minutes) turn dough over. Now you can spread on your sauce, and then your other toppings. Close the cover of the grill, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.

PS
I forgot to mention, I have had good luck with store bought frozen bread dough.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Thanks Hab. I think I'll play with that one this weekend then the brisket you did next weekend.

BigSmoker

Normally cook pizza on the grill once a week but every other week for sure.  I usually buy my dough frozen from Sam's.  Check with the folks at the pizza counter inside Sam's.  Dough balls are big enough to make 2 pizzas and cost less than a buck a piece round here.  Don't forget the fresh mozarella.  It makes a big difference ;D.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

jaeger

Hab,
I have not made very much bread, is there a way to freeze the dough at some point. I get home from work and I want to fire up the grill when it's time to eat. I'm probably best suited for the frozen type like Big Smoker mentioned or the premade fresh dough.
I think IKW has made a lot of breads and his pizza dough in a bread machine, minus the cook cycle. He's probably off in the boonies somewhere in his camping rig. I'm sure he will have some things to add when he is back.
Here is a book, by a great author, that has a nice section on grilled pizza including quite a few variations of meats and cheeses.
I picked up a copy at the local library and found it quite interesting.
http://www.bizrate.com/cookingbooks/pid11218074/information__keyword--Bill.html

IKnowWood

I am back from the Boonies and Space - at least for now.  Space is pulling me in more and more these days. 

I have tried the the Pillsbury Pizza Dough before and its OK.  about 75% of the way there, its to oily at the start, you need to kneed it with flour to get it to streetch and hold form.  The store bought ones get you far enough.  Once you can get it to hold the form, you are far enough.  Just pay attention that you want it a little dry when you put it on the grill.  The dryer it is, the more you get the happy bubbles on the first toast side.  These Bubbbles give you the nice toasted, roasted crunchy flavors when you flip them.

I have had a hard time with the store made dough to make bubbles.  If you dry them out with added kneeding and flour it gets better.

Home mixed or Bread Machine made dough makes it better.  Its more predictable as to the kneeding step to make sure its moist enough to stay together but dry enough to make the bubbles. 

Experimentation as in all other things, makes this right.

check out my post on my approach
http://susan.rminor.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=222

Yeah, its a lot of reading but it has a lot of details..  The Sauce is great.  But if I Wanted a BBQ pizza, I would indeed do something like a Pork Butt with Goose Bay company rub and sauce or a Brisket and add it in.  May use some Sweet Onion - Vidalia in it as well.  Hmm..   
giving me ideas. 

- Thanks.

//
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Habanero Smoker

When I make bread or pizza dough I always make more then I can use and freeze the rest. I've had good luck freezing dough for up to 3 months. I divide it into the proper amounts, punch it down, and double wrap it. I first tightly wrap it in plastic, then place it in sealable plastic freezer bags, forcing out as much air as possible. Let it thaw in the refrigerator, once thawed, I unwrap it, place it is a grease bowl, and leave out at room temperature to rise. The reason I thaw it in the refrigerator is that it is hard to get the plastic wrap off when it is frozen, and it's even harder to get the plastic wrap off the dough after it's begun to rise.

It will work with the pizza dough that is bought at Sam's. I didn't know Sam's sold pizza dough, so I might buy that instead of making my own. I learned to avoid those pre-made pizza shells. I tried using them, and it just taste and feels like cardboard.

IKW, thanks for the tips, and link.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

tsquared

Here is a pizza dough recipe that I've used for 10 years now. It's straight out of the Black and Decker bread machine recipe book. I rarely use the bread machine now EXCEPT for this recipe as it is dead easy and good.

1 cup beer
1T. shortening (I use olive oil)
1T. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 3/4 cup white flour (Canuckleheads use 2 2/3) I replace 2/3 cup of this with whole wheat flour.
1 1/4 tsp. bread machine yeast.

I will often make this and put it on the timer in the am before work so it's ready to use for supper. My machine does it in a 2 hour cycle.
T2

IKnowWood

Beer in the dough???   How does it rise, I would think the extra added fermented material would reduce that potential?  How is the texture?

This is an interesting twist.

The recipe I use is very similar.  at times we toss in some dry Parmasean and some dry herbs (Rosemary leaves, oregano, basil).  Really tasty dough.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes