Pizza on the Grill

Started by jaeger, May 10, 2006, 10:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

IKW-The beer doesn't seem to affect the rising at all--it still comes up fine. the texture is fairly light(but not super light as I put in some whole wheat flour) and tasty. I know from your previous posts you enjoy a good beer, so give it a try!
T2

IKnowWood

Thus my question.  I am intrigued. 

I enjoyed a good beer today.  Troeg HopBack Ale.  Good in Bottle, lucious(sp?) on draft.

For cooking I use Michelob or Yeingling.  If the beer adds to the flavor I will go out for a micro for more.  The dough might be something to add some hops flavor...  hmmmm  Mind is a thinking now!!
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

tsquared

I usually use a fairly light local beer that I keep on hand for my father in law. I've never actually tried something more substantial like a stout--might be interesting, come to think of it!
T2

iceman

That sounds good. I'll be doing that today for lunch. :P
Quote from: IKnowWood on May 13, 2006, 07:13:05 AM

This is an interesting twist.

The recipe I use is very similar.  at times we toss in some dry Parmasean and some dry herbs (Rosemary leaves, oregano, basil).  Really tasty dough.

Jezziebella

Hi guys,
   Try adding some caramellized onions (really really caramellized, almost like jam) and fresh corn kernals to the BBQ pork toppings.  I put the onions on first, then the cheese (I use pepperjack and sharp cheddar) ,the pork and corn.  Drizzle the BBQ sauce over (not too much).  When it's all done, sprinkle with green onions and cilantro.  Yumbo!  :-*

BigSmoker

Leg of lamb with feta, black and green olives, fresh diced maters and plenty of cheese

and other various pizzas

Someone say lasagna on the grill?

and this just scratches the surface ;D.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Jezziebella

From BigSmoker's pix it looks like he grills on a perforated pan.  Anybody just throw it on the grates like all the Food Network folks? 
   Also have been eyeing the new pizza stone made for grills. It's supposed to turn your gas grill into a woodburning pizza oven if you use wood chips in the smoker box.  Kinda pricey though, wouldn't a regular oven pizza stone work just as well?  All the grill one has are stainless steel sides and back lip.  You think that makes a difference?   :-*

Habanero Smoker

Wow! BigSmoker. You have a larger variety then most pizzerias.

Jezz,
I place my dough directly on the grill, let one side brown, flip it over, then put my toppings on, and finish it off.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

asa

I have prebaked pizza rounds directly on the grill, just to firm up the surfaces on both sides. Then I stack them for baking in my kitchen oven on a baking stone later on. Gives grill marks, a nice flavor, a good surface for adding toppings, and then allows extra crisping of the crust when baked on the hot stone. I like prebaking because it eliminates the sticking of wet dough to your paddle while you top it.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

nsxbill

Less sophisticated, I throw the dough on the grill and rotate until browned.  I then flip it and put on the toppings, being mindful to continually rotate until the other side is also well browned.  Yum! If I didn't say it before, no, it won's sag into the fire.  It stays in one piece and just browns up.  Big Smoker, are you doing this on Big Green Egg or conventional grill?  I use just my gas BBQ.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

iceman

BigSmoker when are you going to be open for lunches? That is some mighty fine looking food you have there. Now I can't wait for dinner! ;D

BigSmoker

Yep cooking those pizzas indirect on top of a Primo pizza stone with my Big Green Egg or Primo Oval.  I normally use the perforatted pans for ease of use but have and do cook them directly on the pizza stone and use a peel to remove them.  500f for 10-12 minutes seems to do the trick :P.  bakes up some nice bread as well. 

KARENCOOKS

Quote from: Jezziebella on June 12, 2006, 05:14:30 PM
   From BigSmoker's pix it looks like he grills on a perforated pan.  Anybody just throw it on the grates like all the Food Network folks? 
   Also have been eyeing the new pizza stone made for grills. It's supposed to turn your gas grill into a woodburning pizza oven if you use wood chips in the smoker box.  Kinda pricey though, wouldn't a regular oven pizza stone work just as well?  All the grill one has are stainless steel sides and back lip.  You think that makes a difference?   :-*

I got one of those and it really is just a stone with a stainless steel frame, it has a thermometer attached, but most gas grills come with one on the lid anyway. I followed the instructions and it was way too hot, burnt the pizza in no time, haven't tried it again but will have to. The 500 degrees BigSmoker talks about sounds about right, mine went up to 650 or so, according to the 2 thermometers. Also, dough was a little too thick, need to make them thinner next time. Sounds like more experimentation in order.

BigSmoker

Try 475-500°f.  It should work much better.

Malc

If there is a good local pizzeria near you(maybe not a chain) they will probably sell you dough if you don't want to make it and don't like store bought stuff.  Just be sure to ask in advance, since they usually make all of their dough early in the morning for the day and pre-fill pans.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.