50lbs of Pork Butt - and all the stress that goes with it!

Started by GoCobbers95, April 24, 2013, 07:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoCobbers95

I told myself, "You have smoked enough pork butts that you DON'T need anyone to hold your hand through this..."

Then I caved and posted here :)

The situation:

Graduation party for one of my co-workers kids. Expecting 50 people. Going to be 3 other salad sides, NO other meat. I expect a fair amount of the guests to be teenage males. The party is on a Sunday, leaving me the Friday and Saturday before to get the entire cook done. I have 2 bradley smokers + a friends propane smoker as a back up. The pork butts will be in the 7-8# range. I expect to have 6 or 7 total roasts to make up 50# total.

-Time frame is the big stress for me. Reading through thread after thread of advice, I know the optimum way to approach this is by starting to smoke NOW, use the food saver, and just re-heat the day of. Problem is, I live in an apartment currently and will have access to a place to smoke ONLY the weekend of the party.

-I have access to electric roasting pans that will be used for the serving of the meat, and will not be required to serve or set up. I figured I would leave a jug of apple juice, and shaker of rub for doctoring as the day goes on.

My game plan as of right now (feel free to critique)

-Pick up thawed pork butts from meat market on WEDNESDAY of party week
-Begin brine starting THURSDAY NIGHT using 2 parts brown sugar 1.5 parts salt + handful of rub (My thought is the typical party goer doesn't like salt as much as me) Total brine time 20 hours
-Take pork out of brine FRIDAY NIGHT, apply rub (my own - brown sugar up front, savory middle, small heat on the back), seran wrap and refrigerate.
-Get both bradley smokers going EARLY SATURDAY MORNING. Smoke temp 225* w/ 4 hours of apple. After the smoke, I am open to suggestions. I have never loaded more than 1 pork butt in my bradley at a time. No idea if having 3 butts? will totally slow everything down to the point I need to worry or not. Contemplating whether I should toss a few in the oven and finish there as normal, or if the bradleys can handle it on their own. I am smoking at a friends house, his wife will eventually get sick of me sitting around drinking beer I'm sure :) . Advice please!
-As the butts get to their final IT (varies butt to butt - I start checking them around 190), I will FTC for an hour.
-Hopefully sometime LATE SATURDAY evening I will pull the meat, mix bark in, and test of course
-Once pulled, I will fill roaster pans or aluminum foil trays for safe keeping over night in the fridge. Hopefully I will have plenty of defatted drippings, but will be prepared with apple juice if need be.
-SUNDAY MORNING - Reheat meat using care to not dry the meat out. (Very open to suggestions being on such a tight timeframe)
-Give serving instructions to party host and try not to stress about it from there!

Phew... Writing that was a stress reliever in itself. I am a planner by nature. I have a spreadsheet going with steps written out in reverse order + lists of things I need to gather up for the weekend. Trying to approach this as smart as possible to alleviate stress along the way.

I am VERY VERY open to critiques of my plan, and insight as to what to expect. I really am the most nervous about what to expect from a Bradley filled with possibly 24 lbs of pork butt. Will that be WAY to much and WAY to slow with the timeframe I have? Optimum reheating strategies is also on my mind...

Thank you all for taking the time to read my BOOK of a post. I appreciate all of your help!

Grouperman941

I think the hard part about your timetable is that you could end up at your friend's house really late into Saturday (or even into Sunday!). Don't forget the time it takes to do the actual pulling and packing of the meat.

As far as the Bradleys, I have done 4 8-10 pound butts at once without using the oven.

Sounds like a fun time to me.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

KyNola

Just a couple of thoughts on your plan which basically is sound.  I don't brine pork butts but if that is what you normally do, it will cause no harm.  My main concern would be the cooking time of butts in a Bradley due to the slow heat recovery time in a Bradley and the pig itself.  I have had butts take as long as 24-26 hours to reach 190-195 IT so you could be pulling those butts out of the smoker on Sunday morning.  If you have access to a house oven where you are smoking the butts, you could always apply 4 hours of smoke to the butts in a Bradley and then transfer the butts to a house oven set at 225 or so to complete the cooking process as the temp in the oven will recover very quickly and will stay more consistent although house ovens do have temp swings just like a Bradley although not as severe.

Just my thoughts.  Good luck, sounds like fun and you are very nice to do that for them.

GusRobin

I have done 2 (each 8 lb) butts at a time and they have taken 20-22 hrs in a modified (2nd element) Bradley. I have never done more than 2 at a time, but I imagine that will take longer than the 2 I have done.
I would put 4 or more in the Bradley at 230* and smoke for 4 hours then move them to an oven at 230* until IT ~190-195* then FTC for an hour or 2. When I removed the initial 4 I would add 4 more (or 3 or whatever is left). I would start cooking Friday evening to make sure I was done on time.
Keep changing the water after smoke time as you will get a lot of grease in the pan.
I don't think starting Saturday morning will get it done by late Saturday.
Have plenty of adult beverages on hand.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Grouperman941

Quote from: GusRobin on April 24, 2013, 07:23:39 AM
I have done 2 (each 8 lb) butts at a time and they have taken 20-22 hrs in a modified (2nd element) Bradley. I have never done more than 2 at a time, but I imagine that will take longer than the 2 I have done.
I would put 4 or more in the Bradley at 230* and smoke for 4 hours then move them to an oven at 230* until IT ~190-195* then FTC for an hour or 2. When I removed the initial 4 I would add 4 more (or 3 or whatever is left). I would start cooking Friday evening to make sure I was done on time.
Keep changing the water after smoke time as you will get a lot of grease in the pan.
I don't think starting Saturday morning will get it done by late Saturday.
Have plenty of adult beverages on hand.

When I did my four at a time, one stubborn one took 22 hours, the rest about 20 hours.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

terry08

As already stated I would start Friday afternoon. You will be glad you did.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

GoCobbers95

Point taken. Even starting early saturday, is cutting it to close... I'll mull that over.

Question: Do ovens have similar "load issues" like the bradley? Will having 3 - 8lb butts require the same extended time cook time (in oven), or should I expect a more traditional 10-16 hour cook?

THANK YOU all for the replies.

GusRobin

Quote from: GoCobbers95 on April 24, 2013, 09:07:01 AM
Point taken. Even starting early saturday, is cutting it to close... I'll mull that over.

Question: Do ovens have similar "load issues" like the bradley? Will having 3 - 8lb butts require the same extended time cook time (in oven), or should I expect a more traditional 10-16 hour cook?

THANK YOU all for the replies.
The Bradley is just an oven after you smoke. I would assume that the oven would act no different than my 2 element Bradley once I hit cabinet temp. It is better to err on the side of too early rather than too late. (Unless you have a good pizza place that delivers).  You can FTC for 4-5 hours or you can re-heat. I would strongly advise against trying to cut it close. You sometimes run into stubborn pigs.
Good luck.
Oh, and don't forget to put a pan in the oven to catch the drippings.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

TedEbear

With that many butts you'll wish you had something like a Roman Pork Puller or an Ultimate Pork Puller.  I have the Roman.  It cuts down the pulling time to less than 60 seconds.

GoCobbers95

Quote from: TedEbear on April 24, 2013, 09:30:48 AM
With that many butts you'll wish you had something like a Roman Pork Puller or an Ultimate Pork Puller.  I have the Roman.  It cuts down the pulling time to less than 60 seconds.

Watching the video of the Roman Pork Puller, WOW. If I wasn't going in the whole already on this project, I would JUMP at one of those. I'm lucky to have a wife that is willing to help out. Pulling will STILL will be a long process though...

Redneckinthecity

I've also done a couple of big feeds.  Once you're done applying smoke, I think you would be better off to move to an oven - regardless of whether its gas or electric, you've got more heating capacity, better insulation, etc to help it hold the temperature.

I'd also suggest you skip the brine, cook some Thurs and some on Fri and pull ahead of time and then reheat in some aluminum pans in the oven on the day of your event.  Just pour some apple juice or chicken broth on and cover with foil while it reheats.

I also got the Roman Pork Puller.  I cooked 16 butts at once and I'd still be pulling them if I didn't have the pork puller.  Just remember to have your drill battery charged ahead of time....

GoCobbers95

Being just out of college, stuck living in a cramped apartment really puts a layer of impossibility to this task. I am relying on friends for the use of their backyards!

Modified plan is as follows:

-Get smokers rolling smoke on FRIDAY @ 4pm (absolute soonest I can in this scenario) . Smoke half meat for 4 hours. Transfer to oven for duration of cook.
-Repeat process with second half of meat on Saturday morning.

I do not need to have the meat to the graduation party until Sunday at 3pm. Worst case scenerio, the meat which is smoked Saturday morning, will not be done until Sunday morning. I can live with that I guess.

I REALLY want to buy a pork puller. But with meat and other costs I have committed to for this adventure, I think I am stuck toughing it out.

GusRobin

Is there any reason you don't start the second batch in the Bradley when the first batch is transferred to the oven? That would be around 8:00 pm Friday. Should be done sometime Sat afternoon. You can get some sleep. Otherwise you start Sat morning and aren't done until early Sun morning. Better to sleep at the start of the cook rather than the end.
Just make sure you change water after each smoking period.
Or when 1st batch goes into the oven put the 2nd in for smoke and when its done take home to your apartment and put in your oven. But then you will need someone to keep an eye in the first batch. (Geez - gets complicated my head hurts, need a drink.)

GoCobbers95

Its a helluva situation huh! I know my head hurts...

glwood006

I had a very similar problem. My advice is the same ad everyone else's. Smoke as soon as possible. Then transfer to oven. I did four butts two weeks ago. 4.5 smoke, 17.5 in gas oven set at 215. Pulled at IT of 190. FTC for five hours, was still hot. Took me 1.5 to pull it myself by hand. The whole project was awesome.