stupid question from a newbie

Started by tsuri, April 24, 2013, 12:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsuri

So I'm reading the definition of curing on the Bradley website. http://www.bradleysmoker.com/food-smoking-terminology/curing/
They say "This is the preliminary treatment of the food before smoking begins". 
Does this mean that I need to cure all my food before I smoke it?  I simply want to use the smoker to make wings, ribs and briskets.  I just thought I'd have to apply a rub and stick in the box (I know there's a bit more, but to put it simply). 
Is curing used more for things like salami's? 
thanks for your patience with my questions.

GusRobin

more for things like jerky, salami, etc. Chicken, briskets, wings, fresh sausage, don't need it. Mostly things that you are going to cook at very low temp.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Most of your cooking in the Bradley will be using barbeque temperatures; temperatures greater then 200°F. If you are smoking/cooking whole muscle meat at 200°F or higher, you don't have to use a cure. For ground meat, and some sources include chicken, you cabinet temperature should be at least 225°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Grouperman941

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?