Need Pulled Pork Advice

Started by tskeeter, May 06, 2013, 11:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tskeeter

After a very successful trial run a making pulled pork (thanks to this forum and a batch of Jan's Rub (my special thanks to your better half, Kynola)), I'm looking to take that pork shoulder to an even higher level.  So, I'm soliciting input on you guys favorite way to prep the shoulder.  For my trial run, I just applied the rub to the shoulder.  But I see that many of you use something on the shoulder before you apply the rub.  Everything from vegetable oil to CYM and molasses.  What do you prefer and why?   

Wildcat

I have only tried Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Cheap Yellow Mustard. Both are good but I get more smoke flavor with the EVOO.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TedEbear

I've been using molasses lately.  It creates a nice bark.  I don't apply it overnight or anything, I just pull it right out of the freezer, wipe it down with molasses, sprinkle on some rub and into the Bradley.

beefmann

i have done both and EVOO and CYM add there own flavors,,, also have used beavers sweet hot mustard which is my favorite offering some sweetness with a bit of a hot bite at the end... and of course your favorite rub

Habanero Smoker

I use either canola oil when I want a neutral flavor or peanut oil when I want to add an additional layer of flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)