Goose

Started by mez, April 24, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mez

I was given a dozen goose breasts .I was thinking about using gun powder and wrapping with bacon and smoking some.Just wondering if anyone else has tried this or has a better way to cook goose.I've always had it in Italian dressing then wrapped in bacon and grilled.looking for some new ways.

MoHuka

Use your favorite jerky recipe and make goose jerky....best goose I ever ate
MoSmoker

Habanero Smoker

I have used Manxman's Double Smoked Duck Breast a couple of times, with great results. It should work just as well with goose breast.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rsherman24

I had about 40 breasts this winter and ground/seasoned them the same way I would for GB jerky.  Came out just as good as beef or venison.  Texture is a little mushy when you grind it, so I partially freeze the breasts before grinding then freeze the strips once I shoot them out.

ragweed

X2 on the jerky but I've also made this recipe I got from an outfitter in Manitoba.

Drambuie Goose

8 medium goose breasts, skinned, boneless
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
2 cups strong chicken stock
1 cup half & half cream
2 tsp chopped parsley
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 med onion chopped fine
2 tbsp. Drambuie liqueur

Pound each breast thin.  Dredge the meat in the flour and seasoning mixture.  Saute the goose in the butter over medium heat until brown.  Remove from pan.  Add more butter if necessary.  Leave about 1 tbsp. butter in the pan.  Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.  Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Return the goose to the pan, cover and simmer gently until the goose is tender, 30 - 40 minutes.  Remove the goose from the pan and add the onions.  Cook until they are translucent.  Add the cream, Drambuie and parsley; simmer until the sauce thickens slightly.  Return the goose to the pan, stir to coat with the sauce and heat through.  Enjoy!!

mez

The recipe's sound good gonna try them soon been to busy to make them .so if goose makes good jerky would it work good in snack stix as well?Been wanting to try ou812's slim jim recipe.

rsherman24

Works great in sticks as well.  I usually mix in a little bit of pork butt since the breast meat is so lean.  I think I mixed 4 Lb's goose breast with 1 Lb pork butt and it came out great.

pikeman_95

I am going out an a limb here but this recipe is so much better then it sounds. I have served this may times and with out fail they have asked for the recipe. We have a annual party that I always have some and one of the guest takes the leftovers every time.

PICKLED HEART OR DUCK OR GOOSE BREAST  [BRINE]

1/3-----CUP SALT
3-------CUPS SUGAR
5 1/4---CUPS WHITE VINEGAR
3--------TSP. PICKLING SPICE
12------WHOLE CLOVES
1--------CHOPPED CINNAMON STICK
2--------LARGE ONIONS SLICED THIN
HEAT BRINE INGREDIENTS UNTIL THE SUGAR AND SALT ARE COMPLETELY   
DISSOLVE. (DO NOT BOIL) KEEP HOT FOR 1/2 HOUR. SLOW BOIL THE  DUCK/GOOSE/HEART MEAT
FOR AT LEAST ON HOUR THEN COOL AND SLICE THE MEAT DIAGONAL TO THE
GRAIN IN ABOUT 3/16 INCH THICK SLICES. PLACE THE MEAT, ONIONS AND BRINE IN A
CROCK OR GLASS JAR AND REFRIGERATE.
STIR A COUPLE OF TIMES. READY TO EAT IN ABOUT A WEEK.

Here are some pictures of the process.

They are great on a Ritz cracker.

Redneckinthecity

This recipe is easily scalable:

1 goose
1 onion, quartered
1 apple, quartered
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 old tennis shoe

Soak goose overnight in mild saltwater or milk (no salt added).  Stuff goose with onion, apple, garlic and old shoe.  Roast at 325 until done.  Remove from oven.  Discard goose and eat shoe.    ;D

Sorry to be a smart aleck.  I've never had luck with a goose.  These Eastern Flyway geese seem to be awfully fishy.  Maybe some corn-fed goose from the Central Flyway would be better!