New to Smoking

Started by Eefer, May 11, 2006, 12:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eefer

I am new to smoking.  My father-in-law and I are going to purchase a smoker for the deer we shot.  But I would also like to use the smoker for other things.  I was reading the forums about the new digital 6 Rack smoker.  Does any one know when they plan on fixing the issues with the new smoker.  I would like to purchase the new one but I am afraid that I will be buying a lemon.

Oldman

QuoteDoes any one know when they plan on fixing the issues with the new smoker.  I would like to purchase the new one but I am afraid that I will be buying a lemon.
I've read every posting about this unit. I'm not certain there are issues. IMO I see what I think are folks who want a "Shake and Bake" smoker.  I've have never seen one other than those that are personally customized.

EDIT since this post I have reconsidered what I wrote.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Eefer; I think Olds is right about the "issues" on the new smokers. I think great expectations might have came into play just a tad bit. As far as a SHAKE & BAKE SMOKER as Olds put it, very few people could afford one just as a hobby. I've put as much as $15,000.00 into an automatic smoker/ steamer/ cooler unit and still had to mess with it at times. All I'm trying to say is do what you want. Your always going to hear positive and negative things no matter what unit you end up with. Go with your instincts and remember to have fun and enjoy the company no matter what you do. ;D

icerat4

i GUESS this is outa of the question also. :-X right oldman.

manxman

Welcome to the forum Eefer, this post from Chez Bubba sums up the perceived "issues" pretty well in my view:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3098.msg29301#msg29301
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Oldman on May 11, 2006, 02:07:43 PM
QuoteI've read every posting about this unit. I'm not certain there are issues. IMO I see what I think are folks who want a "Shake and Bake" smoker.  I've have never seen one other than those that are personally customized.

Olds
I was kind of suggesting that on another thread, but you state it much more clearly. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Eefer

:-\ I am still at odds on deciding what I should buy.  Has any one tried the 4 rack unit?  If so does it have the same temp problems that the 6 rack unit does.  Would I be better off buying the old unit because the temps are more controllable? 

I keep reading about a PID what is a PID?  I understand that it is used to control the temp but that is about all I know about it.

Thanks for the Information and I look forward to having some SMOKE'N fun

icerat4

The 4 racker is nice.But if you want to cook in it for longer then 9 hours 40 mins then get an original for now.I had a 6 racker and my friend has the 4 rack digital.

Eefer

Does your friends 4 racker hold a more constent temp?

icerat4

4 racker do hold the temps better. ;D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Eefer on May 12, 2006, 06:50:09 AM
:-\ I am still at odds on deciding what I should buy.  Has any one tried the 4 rack unit?  If so does it have the same temp problems that the 6 rack unit does.  Would I be better off buying the old unit because the temps are more controllable? 

I keep reading about a PID what is a PID?  I understand that it is used to control the temp but that is about all I know about it.

Thanks for the Information and I look forward to having some SMOKE'N fun

Eefer,

PID refers to Proportional, Integral, Derivative. It is a type of control scheme that smoothly varies the input (in this case, electricity) to maintain a desired setpoint (in this case, temperature). The typical alternative is simple on/off control (like your house thermostat). Usually, an on/off control approach has more temperature swing around the setpoint.

The original BS has a rheostat that smoothly varies the input power. However, you are the control loop (manually adjusting the slider). Users have automated this by adding a PID controller to their setup.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Eefer

:)Thanks for the information arcs_n_sparks. 

I think I will need to dicuss which smoker to buy with my father-in-law.  I don't think the temp swing would be a problem for me but the FIL is a little more "picky" if you know what I mean. 

I really enjoy the amount of help and information that I have recieved on this forum.

Thanks !

MRH

Eefer

I just got  got the original model and only have used it 3 times so far twice the way it came and once since I put a PID together.  The PID sure makes it nice but I have around a 100 extra bucks into it to have that convenience.  Check this post if you want to see what it looks like.    http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3167.0

Mark

IKnowWood

MRH, you know  I just got it.

I paid $400 for my Stainless smoker (with cover and some pucks) and I invested about $75 for a TS plus all other items.  And with the help of the board and some minor wiring skills and enough confidence.  I made a Digital smoker.  I still have to use some knowledge to understand what I am cooking and how long it might take and then work the setup top get the job done.  But I made a Digital 4 rack smoker.  For $475 and a lot of fun and experience to get there.  I will be adding a circulation fan for a better control that is better than the Digital system, closer to the Rapter / Competitor system and mods.

The digitals have a market, that's for sure.  But I for one will not go there as I know how to get there via other paths that have their own benefit.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

coyote

Eefer,
       First welcome aboard ! Like you I'm a deer hunter. As I look back over the
past thirty years of great times spent afield in persuit of the elusive north American
whitetail, I have enjoyed every stage of the game. Just as I do with grilling,
and now learning to smoke with my BS.   First stage- sparking the desire. 2nd-
getting the right toys. ONLY YOU will be able to decide what the right choice is.
Just like deer hunting.........you'll never score if you don't shoot....and shoot......
...and shoot.............Remember Life is always better when experienced hands on.

Buy it ..you'll like it . If not , try another one.   Have Fun, Coyote