Cold Smoking

Started by manxman, May 12, 2006, 03:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Perhaps someone could clarify whether the new digital models can be used for cold smoking as in this setup?:

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

My interpretation reading a couple of previous threads is that it can't as the generator must be wired to the smoke cabinet in order to work but I have not seen a definitive yes or no.   ;)

Having tried a couple of methods of cold smoking I firmly believe this is the best method with or without the addition of ice to the smoke cabinet.

This may be of use to help people make a decision as to which model is best for their circumstances and it may be of use to me in the future, i need something that can both hot and cold smoke satisfactorily.

Thanks folks,
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

That's my take on it also. After looking at the manual, it looks as if you would need to find an extension cord with two female ends. If that's the case, if you have the 120v models, then you can get such an extension cord from most places that sell computer equipment and parts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

I was thinking exactly the same regarding a power cord extension, but then wondered whether there would be any residual heat just simply by connecting the generator electrically to the cabinet in such a way.

In the blurb I notice they say minimum temperature is "subject to ambient" and wondered how achievable true cold smoking (i.e < than around 80F) actually would be?

Guess this is something else for someone to try! :o
Manxman

iceman

Manx,
No matter what you do your going to be a little above ambient temp if you don't isolate the generator from the cabinet. The burn plate will raise the temp slightly so you need to keep it away from the box. Olds had an interesting thought, something to do with a portable air conditioner. Hmmm. He might be on to something. To be honest with you if you really need to get the temp down you can do the following. I took a cheap portable refrigerator (Walmart) $119.00 and cut a hole in the back of it and hooked a dryer hose from it to the Bradley. I installed a vent with a damper on the top to keep the smoke moving. Stack the fridge on a table above the Bradley and turn the thing on to cool down a bit(set the fridge temp to a higher setting if it gets to cool). Start the smoke generator and load your food into the fridge and AL la hamburger, your cold smoking! ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: manxman on May 12, 2006, 04:23:34 AM
In the blurb I notice they say minimum temperature is "subject to ambient" and wondered how achievable true cold smoking (i.e < than around 80F) actually would be?

Guess this is something else for someone to try! :o
I believe that statement is used with the old models also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

gotbbq

Hey,

I took 2 old frozen things from ice cream makers and put them at the bottom of the smoker.  They kept it cool for ample time and no melting/water issues.  Then just refreeze for next time.  Worked well when the ambient temp is too high.

gotbbq