SG

Started by bubbles, April 28, 2013, 05:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbles

A few questions  if I may...Do I need to unplug the SG after the biscuits are used up, or does the feeding mechanism stop on it's own ? On the 611 does the element turn just off/on, or is it a variable control ? When I turn the temp control down slowly from max the red indicator light dims before shutting off which suggests it is variable.
   In the future I plan on smoking a fair amount of fish and jerky and no sausage. If I purchased a Maverick 732 now, would there be any use for it down the road if I chose to go with a Auber PID ? If not, any suggestions for a cheaper thermometer so I don't have to pay $60 and $180 respectively?

Thank You in advance

GusRobin

The maverick doesn't control the temp. it allows you to read it remotely. So a PID and maverick are independent as to their functions. If you can only get one, get the PID and buy a cheaper remote thermometer.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

Quote from: GusRobin on April 28, 2013, 05:50:14 PM
The maverick doesn't control the temp. it allows you to read it remotely. So a PID and maverick are independent as to their functions. If you can only get one, get the PID and buy a cheaper remote thermometer.

x2

Habanero Smoker

There would still be a use for the ET-732. That would still allow you to monitor both the pit and meat temperatures without having to go to the smoker to look at the display on the Auber. The cheaper remotes usually only have one probe, but if that satisfies what you need, then I would also go with the cheaper remote.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wetzel1977

The Maverick is sooooooooooooooo worth the price you pay
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

bubbles

Alrighty, you talked me into it. The ET732 is on it's way.
Would somebody mind commenting on my 1st question about the SG ?
"Do I need to unplug the SG after the biscuits are used up, or does the feeding mechanism stop on it's own ? "

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: bubbles on April 30, 2013, 11:56:51 AM
"Do I need to unplug the SG after the biscuits are used up, or does the feeding mechanism stop on it's own ? "

I'm not familiar with the NOBS (BS611). I believe you can just turn off the generator switch, and the element will still continue to work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Grouperman941

Quote from: bubbles on April 30, 2013, 11:56:51 AM
Alrighty, you talked me into it. The ET732 is on it's way.
Would somebody mind commenting on my 1st question about the SG ?

I don't unplug anything during smokes.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Toker

Habs, i got the BS611 and if you turn the switch off both (element and smoke generator) will turn off unlike the black because the circuit board is now located inside the smoke generator. To use only the element you need a pid or a guru. unless i did not understand your point. If so, I'M sorry.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Toker on April 30, 2013, 06:37:17 PM
Habs, i got the BS611 and if you turn the switch off both (element and smoke generator) will turn off unlike the black because the circuit board is now located inside the smoke generator. To use only the element you need a pid or a guru. unless i did not understand your point. If so, I'M sorry.

Thanks for the information. I've noted that for future reference.

Bubbles;
If you are worried about the wear and tear of the motor, many of us who have the OBS (non-modified) left the generator on the entire smoke/cook time for the extra heat the bisquette burner provided. So generally those motors and heating pad can withstand continuous use.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

bubbles

Excellent, thanks for all your replies