BS611 / Fan Mod question, did I do the right thing?

Started by Boo Boudreaux, May 04, 2013, 06:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boo Boudreaux

I wanted to do a fan & dual 500W element mod, so I ordered a fan kit from Smoke and Stuff.   After placing my order I started looking around on the forum and now I'm not sure if I did the right thing.  Based on some of the posts it looks like the Smoke and Stuff fan might be to small. 

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS
1. Will the fan I ordered even out the tower temp if I don't do the dual element?
2. Should I auto tune my auber controller if I only do the fan mod without the extra element?
3. Is it better to have the dual element  or the one 500w to smoke sausage?  (I made sausage one time and was not  happy with the outcome.  I didn't like the look of the sausage the ends were over cooked and the sausage had dark spots.)
4.  I plan on using the Bradley to cook the following types of meat (sausage,pork butt,brisket,& chicken.)  Will the dual element help out on these types of large items?  Or should I just keep the one 500W.  ( I'm living in TX so the summers are hot, the winters are mild.) If that makes a difference.

GusRobin

Quote from: Boo Boudreaux on May 04, 2013, 06:20:11 PM
I wanted to do a fan & dual 500W element mod, so I ordered a fan kit from Smoke and Stuff.   After placing my order I started looking around on the forum and now I'm not sure if I did the right thing.  Based on some of the posts it looks like the Smoke and Stuff fan might be to small. 

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS
1. Will the fan I ordered even out the tower temp if I don't do the dual element?
I can't answer that for sure but folks seem to be happy with it
2. Should I auto tune my auber controller if I only do the fan mod without the extra element?
I would
3. Is it better to have the dual element  or the one 500w to smoke sausage?  (I made sausage one time and was not  happy with the outcome.  I didn't like the look of the sausage the ends were over cooked and the sausage had dark spots.)
With sausage the key is ramping the temp. Having a PID is more important than the 2nd element.
4.  I plan on using the Bradley to cook the following types of meat (sausage,pork butt,brisket,& chicken.)  Will the dual element help out on these types of large items?  Or should I just keep the one 500W.  ( I'm living in TX so the summers are hot, the winters are mild.) If that makes a difference.
The benefit of the dual element is to get to the desired temp faster and to recover temps faster after you keep opening the door. Many folks have never mod'd their unit and have been completely satisfied. You may want to use it as is for a while and see how you like it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

Quote from: Boo Boudreaux on May 04, 2013, 06:20:11 PM

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS

A) yes it would help  even out the tower temp Also position the fan below the bottom rack, above the v tray and as close to the center of the tower ( left to  right ) as  possible

A) yes auto tune when you add the fan,, and if in the future you add a second 500 watt element auto tune again

A) when doing sausages  it is better to have even temps through out the box  over a faster recovery. the additional 500 watt element  will help with temp recovery and have a  bit of  higher temps

A) the additional 500 watt element will help mostly for heat recovery and larger loads ( 20 plus pounds ) , you  would be better off adding in a  fan along with the second heater for the  most benefit

hope this helps