How much time?

Started by zzzippper, May 05, 2013, 04:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzzippper

I Just seasoned my Bradley digital today.  Next Sunday is D-Day for my first smoke.  I copied a technique for smoking ribs here that gave smoking times.  Is there a rule of thumb say, so many ours per pound?  How does the shape of the meat (butt vs. ribs) affect the time?  Does less than four full racks affect the time?

And last, if you have less than four racks, which should you load?  I know the box is hotter near the burner.

Thanks

Wildcat

All I can say about time is that it gets done when it does.

Generally, the smaller the load the less time it takes.

Many factors can impact cooking time, i.e. outside temp, wind, how cold the meat is when you put it in, how high of a cabinet temp you maintain, how much moisture there is in the cabinet, how open your vent setting is, how large the load is, et., etc. Butts take about the longest because there is a lot of mass.

If you are only using 1 rack, I recommend the second one down from the top.

The ribs will start to pull back from the ends of the bone when they are done.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

beefmann

zzzippper

Okay, but if you're lookin' you ain't cookin', so how do you know when it's done; other than the rib bone separation?
Quote from: Wildcat on May 05, 2013, 04:27:04 PM
All I can say about time is that it gets done when it does.

Generally, the smaller the load the less time it takes.

Many factors can impact cooking time, i.e. outside temp, wind, how cold the meat is when you put it in, how high of a cabinet temp you maintain, how much moisture there is in the cabinet, how open your vent setting is, how large the load is, et., etc. Butts take about the longest because there is a lot of mass.

If you are only using 1 rack, I recommend the second one down from the top.

The ribs will start to pull back from the ends of the bone when they are done.

Wildcat

Tenderness is all I can guess. Generally more bone than meat so temp is hard to figure. Gotta check once in a while!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

GusRobin

If you are referring to the 3-2-1 method for spare ribs and the 2-2-1 for baby backs, the first 2 times (3-2 and 2-2) are pretty accurate. The last hour is notional and should end not by the clock but when the ribs appear ready. (use a toothpick test)

My humble opinion.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

As Wildcat stated it is difficult to take an accurate temperature on rib. If you can measure the temperature, spare ribs should be cooked to ≈185°F, for pull off the bone tenderness, if you want fall off the bone you need to cook further.

Some methods people use to test for doneness is the wood skewer or toothpick test, as mentioned by Gus. When it can slide in and out with little resistance it is done. Some judge by how much the meat has pulled back from the end of the bone, I don't find that too reliable. I have cooked many spare ribs that have none or very little of the bone exposed. Some use the bend test; by picking up the rib by the end with tongs, and if the surface of the meat displays cracks at the bend point, it is done (I haven't had much luck with that techniques. So I use a bamboo skewer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zzzippper

Where can I learn more of this 3-2-1/2-2-1 method, of which you speak?
Quote from: GusRobin on May 05, 2013, 07:27:00 PM
If you are referring to the 3-2-1 method for spare ribs and the 2-2-1 for baby backs, the first 2 times (3-2 and 2-2) are pretty accurate. The last hour is notional and should end not by the clock but when the ribs appear ready. (use a toothpick test)

My humble opinion.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)