Pink Chicken?

Started by BigRich, May 07, 2013, 04:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRich

I smoke two chickens last night. I left it in the Bradley for three hours at 230°. Preheated the big easy on high, pulled out the chicken from the Bradley, put it in the big easy and continued to heat until my thermometer said 178.  I think the thermometer sucks by the way.

I ate some of it last night and it was white. But there was some juice in it that was pink. Today my wife wanted to eat some and she said as she got further into the chicken the meat appeared slightly pink.

It was rubbed with Jan's. Do you think the pink is from the smoke and the rub?  Should I throw it out?

Wildcat

Pink or red from smoke will not normally penetrate deep into meat and unless the right chemicals are applied the Bradley does not produce a smoke ring. I suspect that your chicken was not done. If the texture was different in the pink area in comparison with the white area then I am sure it was not done.

I would not eat the pink areas and I would not keep it after the first meal. This may be over reaction but I think it is better to be safe than sorry.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

BigRich

:( the texture was the same throughout though.

GusRobin

Smoked chicken has a tendency to get a red coloring around the bones, especially in the thigh and legs and a pink coloring to the breast. The way to tell is with the juice. Clear is good, pinkish is bad. Take a paper towel and press against the meat juice- if it is clear it is done.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

If your juices were pink as you stated, the chicken was under cooked, but in the future you can double check with a piece of white paper towel or napkin. These days, chicken that is cooked at a low temperature, can develop a pinkish color around the bone area. It is not known for sure what causes this, but many food scientist believe that in these days chickens are process while very young; the bones have not fully developed and that the marrow from the bones leaches out into the meat.

Did you test the temperature of both chickens, and where did you place the probe? I would test the meat thermometer for accuracy. If you got a reading of 178°F, the chicken should have been done. I always test the meat with a second thermometer (instant read), when I take in out of the smoker, and cook until an internal temperature of 165°F.

Testing Thermometer for Accuracy

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigRich

Thanks.  We were just saying that.  I only probed the top chicken.  We're hoping the bottom one looks better.

I stuck the probe in the breast.  This probe however, will read cabinet temperature unless completely submerged in meat.  It's getting thrown out shortly.

I have another but I'm using it to check the bottom fridge door for the brisket I'm going to wet age. 

I also have a regular thermometer.  I didn't even think to use that one. 

Habanero Smoker

It sounds as if your probe was not submerged enough. I hope the second chicken came out alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BigRich

This probe needs to be inserted half way past the bend so I had to put it in on an angle otherwise it stuck up out if the chicken too high.  It was giving me the same problem on that picnic I did a few weeks ago.  I'm throwing it away.  I have another that hasn't given me that issue.

The second chicken...  The wife thought she saw pink.  I did the paper towel test and it looked fine but I was tired of worrying about it so I pitched them both.

It sucks but at least it wasn't expensive meat.  And I'll be sure not to make that mistake again.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Tenpoint5

It sucks but costs a lot less than what the medical bills could be or worse.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Remember, you will come across the pinkish color in the chicken again, it is common when you cook chicken at a low temperature. The napkin test is reliable, I have had to use that on several occasions when I had doubts about the doneness of chicken. I'm a KCBS Master Certified Judge, and that is how they teach you in judging class to determine for sure is the chicken is fully cooked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BigRich

Thanks.  The pinkish chicken I was more doubtful of but my wife insisted.  I do know however, that I saw pink juice. I sliced into the breast and the juice was pooled up against the rib cage.

Smokeville

Good answers here....

Pink juice, not good. Pink or red meat near bone, ok, so long as you are sure the IT reached 165F on the breasts and thighs.

So far as I know, the only way to overcome the pink/red is to overcook the chicken, so that it turns dark red (and the meat dries out).

Rich