Prime Rib Recipe Needed!

Started by beammeup67, February 23, 2013, 06:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beammeup67

I just purchased a new 4 Rack Digital Smoker and need some great recipes for Prime Rib and Ribs.  I like a good crust on the Prime Rib and am looking for a nice Medium Rare finish.

Can anyone send me some?

KyNola

Welcome to the Forum.  I'm sorry I can't help you with a recipe for smoked Prime Rib as that is one of the few pieces of meat that I won't smoke.

Ka Honu

Normally I'm with KyNola on that but I have successfully cold-smoked for about 40 minutes just to get the smoke taste and then put in the oven to roast at or below 200o until you get 5-10 degrees below the IT you want.  Then foil wrap and rest for 30-90 minutes and "crust up" in a 500o oven for about 6 minutes just before slicing/serving. 

For most grilled or roasted beef (brisket, tri-tip, steaks, prime rib, etc.) I use salt, pepper, and maybe some granulated garlic - anything else is usually too much and detracts from the "beefy" flavor.

Grouperman941

I just did one for my birthday party yesterday. (actually two -- I cut an end off and made one small well done roast.)

I trimmed and coated with salt/pepper/garlic powder.

Preheated the Bradley to 200+ and loaded with special blend (2 hrs).

I took the big one out at 122 degrees, and the little one out at 160.

I wrapped in foil. The Rare one went up to 130.

Just before it was time to serve, I crisped up the outsides on the grill (high temp). It came out a perfect medium rare, and the flavors were excellent.

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

jjmoney

amazingribs.com has an extensive writeup on this very thing.

SmokinSignals

Nice presentation.  I will try this myself.

CowtownSmoker

Personally I wouldn't smoke a prime rib.  Isn't smoking meant for tougher cuts of meat?!  OK,  it's your smoker & meat so go for it!

KyNola

Actually, no, smoking isn't meant for just tougher cuts of meat. 

I'll bet that prime rib was good 2 months ago too. ;)

Grouperman941

Quote from: CowtownSmoker on April 30, 2013, 06:44:19 PM
Personally I wouldn't smoke a prime rib.  Isn't smoking meant for tougher cuts of meat?!  OK,  it's your smoker & meat so go for it!

When I cook prime rib in the oven, I go at 200 degrees until I reach a temp, and then crank up the heat if I want a crust.

I can do that in the Bradley and still have my oven to do other things (potatoes, rolls, veggies). Adding smoke provides another dimension of flavor. Maybe barbecue is meant for tougher cuts, but I'm pretty sure you can smoke just about anything. :-)

And here's one of those missing pics, which I moved to an album:
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

GusRobin

Quote from: CowtownSmoker on April 30, 2013, 06:44:19 PM
Actually smoking doesn't do anything for tougher meats. Smoking just adds flavor. It is the low and slow cooking that results in tender meat.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

watchdog56

I have smoked about a half dozen prime ribs and everyone loves them. Just have not quite found the perfect rub yet.