IT for pork Shoulder

Started by DonOtt, May 11, 2013, 05:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonOtt

Hey folks...

had a shoulder in the smoker for a while and the IT is slooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly creeping up towards 195. It's been in the smoker for about 12 hours....should I take it out even though it's not at 195 yet or just wait?

FLBentRider

When you get near the 185-190 point, then it is by feel.

When inserting the probe feels like a hot knife into butter, it's done.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beefmann

195 - 200 if you  want to  do pulled pork, 190 ish see how easy it  pulls apart with folks, if you  want smoked pork ,, any  thing after 145 is good

DonOtt

I took it out at 192 and foiled and troweled it for a while. After about an hour, I pulled it apart....was delicious....I mean it pulled apart nicely  ;D

Today is all about Chicken drumsticks and ABT's. It's going to be an awesome Mothers Day meal (I hope)

Pictures to follow.....

Tenpoint5

Make sure you have the vent opened wide for the chicken
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

DonOtt

DonOtt

Should I bother to monitor the temp for the drumsticks and ABT's or just let it smoke @ 225 for 2 hours?

KyNola

The temp on the ABT is not at all critical but I would definitely be paying attention to the IT of the drumsticks.  You don't want to be serving undercooked chicken to anyone.