First Chicken suggestions

Started by st3v32k12, May 05, 2013, 07:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

st3v32k12

I have about a 4lb bird.  I don't have one of those beer can/chicken stands, so it will not be upright.

Going to brine it in 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of salt and about a gallon of water.

Then rinse it off thoroughly and rub it with some EVOO and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic power.

225F for about four hours (two hours of smoke) or until breast measures 165F.

Ideally I would like the skin nice and crispy, will the above achieve this or should I take additional steps?

Any tips/tricks/suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!!!

KyNola

The skin will not be nice and crispy.  It will most likely be rubbery.  You could consider removing the chicken before it reaches the desired internal temp and place it under a broiler to finish the cooking and crisp up the skin.  Pay attention when under the broiler though as you can burn it if you're not watching it.

You could always place it in the oven at 325-350 and roast it rather than using the broiler too.

Habanero Smoker

You don't need a beer can holder (vertical roaster). Slipping the bird over a 12 ounce can or larger, and placing the beer can chicken on a pie plate will be enough to hold the bird vertical. I generally will measure the area that is the thickest part of the thigh, and take the chicken out when it hits around 163°F - 164°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smoker pete

Or you could "spatchcock" the chicken (remove the backbone and flatten out the bird).  Spatchcocking allows for a more even cooking process and it does take just a little less time.  Brining is a great idea and I would suggest rubbing the EVOO and seasoning the chicken on and under the skin.  I would also suggest 250ºF with the vent wide open.  Unlike others I prefer to take my chicken breast to 170ºF rather than 165ºF.

Here's an example of spatchcocked chickens.  Skin side up or down doesn't make much difference.  These chickens took 4½ hours ... used an Auber PID to maintain the temp at 250ºF and of course the vent was wide open in order to allow the moisture to escape from the smoker ... allow chickens to rest under a foil tent for 15-20 minutes before carving and serving.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

mikecorn.1

To me spatchcock is the way to go. You get a more even cook IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike