Salmon bacon?

Started by bostonsmoker, May 11, 2013, 05:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bostonsmoker

Does anyone have any recipes for making salmon bacon?

Habanero Smoker

I've never heard of it until now. I may give it a try after viewing the video on the below site.
Salmon Bacon

My thought would be to make it similar to making lox to get the flesh firm enough to slice without falling apart, but add cure #1 to give it that bacon like flavor. Probably using Step #2 of Spy Guy's lox recipe for the brine. Cold smoke like you would lox, and slice lengthwise and fry.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bostonsmoker

Salmonsmoker

Hmmm.....This has piqued my interest Habs. Need to try this.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Smokeville

According to Kummok, salmon belly that has been brined longer and smoked longer is called salmon bacon where he comes from. My wife and I make it to sell at a Farmers' market and it is a big seller. I use the regular Kummok brine and then smoke with Jim Beam pucks.

On the other hand, I did see a Top Chef Seattle episode where they had to use "salmon bacon" in a meal, and to me it looked more like a big piece of Indian Candy. That can use the belly also, and it comes out chewy but not dried out.

Rich

bostonsmoker

Thx rich. How much longer should I brine and smoke?

Smokeville

Quote from: bostonsmoker on May 14, 2013, 10:11:21 AM
Thx rich. How much longer should I brine and smoke?

The salmon fillets I buy are about 2 pounds, and then I cut off the belly. Each piece ends up being about the length of a bradley rack, so you can get 3 to a rack. I use the standard Kummok's brine but not with the pepper flakes and let them soak from about 7pm until 8am. That's really not as long as Kummok might suggest but the results are good. I let them dry with an electric fan blowing over them for a couple of hours and then they smoke for 6 hours with the Jim Beam.

There really isn't a chance of having "boogers" (the white fat deposits that come up out of the flesh if the temp is too high too soon) so I start them about 145F for 2 hours, then 165F for 2 hours, and finish at 185F. The fat will render out a little bit but you will know when they are done by the colour.

Have fun!

Rich

bostonsmoker

They turned out great. I used alder but want to try beam pucks next. I put on a mix of salt / coriander / cayenne mix. Want to try playing w a little tequila / lime flavor.

wkw

There is a great recipe in this book plus awesome recipes for making traditinal lox, and every version of smoked , canned and pickled fish.
http://www.amazon.ca/Smoking-Salmon-Trout-Freezing-Pickling/dp/1550173022/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369170170&sr=1-1&keywords=smoking+trout+and+salmon

Enjoy
Ken