newbie w/ question about smoking sausages

Started by 10gaokie, May 11, 2013, 07:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gaokie

I have been making snack sticks on racks in a horizontal wood smoker w/ seperate fire box. I want to start making sausages and figured I need a vertical smoker so I can hang them. Will I be able to continue using my pecan chunks and control temps between 150 and 180 with a vertical propane smoker? I am afraid the heat will be too high with the fire directly under the meat and only a water pan between.

Chris

GusRobin

this is the Bradley forum - Bradley is an electric smoker. Should probably go post this on a propane smoker forum.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

Chris you should be able to use your propane smoker to make sausage. Remember 180 degrees is 180 degrees no matter how you get there! I would suggest ramping your temps. 120 for 1 hour 130 for a couple hours with smoke 140/50 four a couple hours then 160-170 until you get an IT of 152 then cool in a ice bath
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

10gaokie

Tenpoint,
Thanks for your reply. After reading reviews on the vertical propane smoker that I was looking at buying, the reviews are not great as it seems to not operate correctly without modifications. I am getting along fine with my horizontal smoker now and have smoked alot of meat with it with success. I just cant hang sausages in it. The vertical smoker I am looking at is in the $140 range. Is there a better choice going with a electric smoker. My house is in the middle of a pecan orchard so I have an unlimited supply of pecan chunks. I am concerned about flame ups using the chunks and would rather not go to using pellets or chips which I would have to buy.

Chris

Tenpoint5

I got nothing in that price range. Lol if your feeling adventursome make a couple modifications and stand your horizontal unit on end and make it a vertical offset.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!