Air drying Canadian bacon

Started by BCSmoker, May 12, 2013, 10:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCSmoker

Good day all,
I just finished curing pork loin for Canadian bacon using Habs directions. I was just wondering if I can air dry the loins by cold smoking (no smoke) for a couple of hours rather than drying in the fridge overnight? Which technique is best? I can't wait to try Canadian bacon...and I'm 100% Canadian!!! LOL

beefmann

after the cure of canadian bacon i pat dry with paper towels , let stand at   room temp while the  smoker comes up to temp .. then into the smoker with apple or maple smoke and box temp of 225 till an IT of 145 to 150

KyNola

Your terminology is a little mixed up.  Cold smoking means you are running smoke with no heat in the tower.  Running at a low temp with no smoke for drying purposes is just that, a drying temperature.  As far as can you do it, I guess you can but I prefer to air dry in the fridge overnight to allow a pellicle to form on the surface of the loin.  The smoke will adhere to the meat much better with a tacky surface.

Before anyone asks, no, I have never tried the method BCSmoker described.  Might work, who knows?

Habanero Smoker

Yes! I have done this, and it works alright; though you should allow the cured meat to rest several hours after the cure has been removed from the meat. It helps the cure equally distribute throughout the meat, but for a small cut like a loin; it is not necessary. You can air dry it by using temperatures around 100°F - 120°, before you begin to apply smoke. A couple of hours should be fine, just go until the surface is tacky, be careful you don't want the surface too dry. It is a good method to use when you are short on time, or you don't want the smell of the loin to permeate other foods that are in the refrigerator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BCSmoker

Alrightly!
First, thx KyNola, for the techno speak correction, greatly appreciated : )
Habs, thank you. I actually didn't air dry with the adapter. I guess I convinced myself that if I was going to do this I would do it with patience...as I should...and did!
What can I say...AMAZING...sorry...FREAKIN' AMAZING! I have pics that I will post shortly...as soon as my son explains it to me!
Thanks HabS, KyNola, and he Beefman....greatly appreciated!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: BCSmoker on May 13, 2013, 05:39:43 PM
Alrightly!
First, thx KyNola, for the techno speak correction, greatly appreciated : )
Habs, thank you. I actually didn't air dry with the adapter. I guess I convinced myself that if I was going to do this I would do it with patience...as I should...and did!
What can I say...AMAZING...sorry...FREAKIN' AMAZING! I have pics that I will post shortly...as soon as my son explains it to me!
Thanks HabS, KyNola, and he Beefman....greatly appreciated!

Glad everything turned out alright. The air drying in the smoker is equally effective, and the outcome would have been just as good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)