Newbie question about smoking sausage

Started by 10gaokie, May 18, 2013, 03:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gaokie

I am still planning to buy a new vertical smoker so I have room to hang my sausages. My question is, can I use wood chunks apposed to wood chips for smoking. From the smokers I have looked at, they seem to have small trays designed for use only with wood chips. My house is in the middle of an old pecan orchard and I have an endless supply of pecan wood that I cut into chunks.

Thanks
Chris

beefmann

the bradley smoker uses bisquetts that are about  1/2 inch thick and 2 1/2 inch diameter .. if you  could cut the pecan wood to that size ,, i dont see why not, as for using chips, sawdust, chunks , the bradley is not  designed to burn them, 

Keymaster

Chris, you can definitely experiment with your own sawed pucks but the Bradley bisquettes are designed to smoke on the Bradley smoke generator with optimal performance. I've seen a few post of people that made there own bisquettes with sawdust and a hydraulic press with semi-success. I wish you luck with your endeavor :)

Habanero Smoker

Hi 10gaokie,

Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned the Bradley uses bisquettes that are designed specifically for use with the Bradley generator. They make the bisquettes in the most popular flavors of wood, but there are many times I want to use something different. The below link is the way I use different woods to smoke food in my Bradley.
Smoking with Different Woods

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Alanfromwis

Hi 10gaokie, I have experimented with solid wood pucks that worked quite well, however took some time to make. Had an apple tree blow down in my back yard and figured it would be cool to smoke with home grown pucks. Made the pucks 1/2" thick & 2 3/16 diameter. They burned (smoldered) better & curled less with about 8-7/16" holes drilled in each.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday