Deer Heart

Started by ragweed, May 19, 2013, 01:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

Saw Pikeman_95's brine recipe for heart or duck or goose breast and thought I'd give it a try.

Cleaned and soaked.

Boiled and sliced.

Into a jar with the brine and onions for a week refrigerated.

The results on some smoked triscuits.

OMG Pikeman, you were right!  Excellent, excellent, excellent!!  Thanks for posting!

Tenpoint5

That does look good! 
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pikeman_95

I am glad someone gave it a try. It sounds gross but it is really good. The same recipe works great with duck or goose breast. Some others with duck or goose or a couple of deer hearts in the freezer take the chance and give it a try.
Kirby

Ketch22

HI
Pikeman_95 can you put up the link for the deer heart brine recipe.

Thanks Ketch

pikeman_95

Here you go.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18722.msg227360#msg227360

I also had a post that we had a pickled meat lunch at work. MT fiddler and his dad participated.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21110.0

Oh by the way the deviled egg potato salad is also very good.

Kirby

Ketch22

Thanks  Pikeman_95
I will try the Brine it sounds real good

Thanks Ketch

pikeman_95

Ketch
If you ever find some access to some beef hearts you will love them. Nice big slices and usually very inexpensive. About 20 years ago the guys that I used to work with, found a butcher shop that sold beef hearts for $1.00 each. We started making jerky and pickling them like crazy. They soon jumped the price to $5.00 each. I guess we created too much of a demand. I would bet it would make a good lean source of sausage meat. It is just a fine grained muscle. I would guess if you ground hearts and mixed it 50/50 with pork butt you could not tell the difference in many sausages. I know that it made good jerky.
Kirby

Grouperman941

Quote from: pikeman_95 on May 21, 2013, 05:32:46 AM
Ketch
If you ever find some access to some beef hearts you will love them. Nice big slices and usually very inexpensive. About 20 years ago the guys that I used to work with, found a butcher shop that sold beef hearts for $1.00 each. We started making jerky and pickling them like crazy. They soon jumped the price to $5.00 each. I guess we created too much of a demand. I would bet it would make a good lean source of sausage meat. It is just a fine grained muscle. I would guess if you ground hearts and mixed it 50/50 with pork butt you could not tell the difference in many sausages. I know that it made good jerky.
Kirby

I actually grill beef heart slices like little steaks. I bet they could replace lean beef in a lot of things.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Ketch22

Hi pikeman_95

I like deer and beef hearts.  I like chicken hearts to they are small but real good I bet they would be good in the brine. Have you ever smoked the hearts then brine them
Ketch

pikeman_95

No I haven't. They might make an interesting pastrami. I have never made it but it sounds interesting. I will have to check and see what the availability of Beef hearts. Small local butchers that might process their own cows might be a source. I live in a more rural area where the local ranchers have their own cows slaughtered and cut up. Many of them do not want the hearts. This is where I want to check and see if they sell them.
KC

ragweed

Thought I'd bump this to remind everyone just how great Pikeman's recipe is.  Boiled up a couple of deer hearts yesterday and they're now in the brine for a week or so.  Can't wait.   ;D ;D ;D

pikeman_95

If you guys don't have a deer heart or duck or goose breast. Buy a large beef heart and give this a try. You will be surprised. It is really good. Ragweeds post makes me want to do it again.