Too much Smoke??

Started by Roops, May 22, 2013, 09:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roops

Hey all.  Im pretty new to Bradley Smokers.  I have probably done 4 smokes since getting my 1st in March.  I have noticed on everything that i pump out I get an overpowering smoke flavor, almost unnatural.  Ive stuck to the give it smoke for 50% of the time it is in the smoker rule and the only piece of meat it seams to have worked flawlessly on is a 6lb boston butt.  I thought it was because of using Mesquitte at first but since I have gotten Apple and it still can over power.  Any suggestions?  This weekend i want to do smoked turkey legs (like Disney World)  and want to get it perfect.  Also I saw a picture of Vipers results doing the turkey legs @ http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=28137.0  and saw the pink meat,  i havent been able to achieve this yet on a whole chicken or chicken wings.  Please any help would be greatly appreciated, I love the idea of this smoker and have really put in some good money and time and want to get better

Thanks

Roops

GusRobin

on briskets and butts, most folks smoke for 3-4 hours give or take. But it is a matter of personal preference. I would keep track of my smokes and adjust the amount of smoke for the next one based upon what the results are.
Poultry I usually give an hour to 1 1/2 hrs of smoke because for me it seems to absorb it more. But again it is a matter of personal taste.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

standles

What Gus said  ;D

I generally never go over 3-4 hours smoke.   When I am smoking stuff for my Mom (she likes very little smoke) I adjust lower.  If it is just me I go o nthe longer end.

It is a preference thing and something you figureout as you go.

Steven

Habanero Smoker

Hi Roops;

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link that may be useful:

How Much Smoke?

Viper use Morton Tender Quick in his brine. That is a cure mixture that contains 1% each of sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite. That is what gave it the reddish color. It will also give the meat a ham-like flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Roops

Thanks everyone!  I ended up getting a Maverick ET732 to help with internal temp, did a beer can chicken with 1 hr apple smoke and was flippin delicious.  I still want to do the Turkey legs, i just need to get my hands on some Morton tender quick!  I will post pics when done!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Roops on June 05, 2013, 10:01:09 AM
Thanks everyone!  I ended up getting a Maverick ET732 to help with internal temp, did a beer can chicken with 1 hr apple smoke and was flippin delicious.  I still want to do the Turkey legs, i just need to get my hands on some Morton tender quick!  I will post pics when done!
If your here in the states  look in the spice isle at the grocery store the bulk salts are usually on the bottom row. Tenderquick will be in a blue bag.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

tskeeter

I've been scouring the local grocery store aisles for Tender Quick.  Walmart, Raley's, Smith's (Kroger), Save Mart (Albertson's).  No Tender Quick.

Finally just ordered it on line.  Cheapest price I could find for a 2 pound bag ($5.19) was at the Morton's online store.  Even after paying the handling fee ($2.50) and shipping (40% of purchase price), it was still way cheaper ($9.78?) than buying a single bag from Amazon ($14.87 + sales tax = $16.02), even if I bought enough more stuff to get free shipping on the Amazon order.  If a person uses a lot of Tender Quick, or can share with buddies, the Amazon price for 6 bags ($23.26) would be pretty good.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: tskeeter on June 05, 2013, 12:06:25 PM
I've been scouring the local grocery store aisles for Tender Quick.  Walmart, Raley's, Smith's (Kroger), Save Mart (Albertson's).  No Tender Quick.

Finally just ordered it on line.  Cheapest price I could find for a 2 pound bag ($5.19) was at the Morton's online store.  Even after paying the handling fee ($2.50) and shipping (40% of purchase price), it was still way cheaper ($9.78?) than buying a single bag from Amazon ($14.87 + sales tax = $16.02), even if I bought enough more stuff to get free shipping on the Amazon order.  If a person uses a lot of Tender Quick, or can share with buddies, the Amazon price for 6 bags ($23.26) would be pretty good.

This may be a little late, but you can make you own cure blend that is equivalent to TQ without the nitrates.
Basic Cure

I
         don't
                   inhale.

tskeeter

Thanks for the link, Habs.  I had seen the basic cure information several months ago, but decided to buy the Tender Quick.  My Cure #1 supply is over two years old and wasn't too sure about using it.  So I decided that as long as I probably needed to buy something, I'd try the Tender Quick.

Habanero Smoker

Cure #1 shelf life is almost indefinite, as long as it wasn't in exposed sunlight, high temperatures, and the mixture didn't harden; if lumps have formed and they easily fall apart the mixture is still OK.

If I'm in doubt about my cure, I will use a little, mixed with salt and cure a couple of thin pork chops. After a few hours I will pan fry them, and if the meat remains a rosy color I know the cure is still good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BBD42

Congrats on your smoking. I mostly smoke about 30lbs of brisket for 5 hours and cook them in foil for another 13 hours. It takes me 11 hours to get the brisket to 190 degrees then I cook it for an additional 2 hours after that at 220 degrees IN FOIL (GENERALLY 18 hours total, may very).
My Freshman year at this will be over this July. Much more to learn. My BS6 digital smoker has 400 plus hours on the element and it is struggling to cook at 220 degrees. May need to replace the element or upgrade over all temperature system.