Elk brasola

Started by Northern_Smoke, May 28, 2013, 05:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

Just wondering if anyone has made any wild game bresaola? I got the dry bag kit amd decided to make a beef bresaola according to their recipe and instructions on the site. At the same time I made an Elk bresaola using Jason Molinari's recipe on his Cured Meat blog that he used for his venison bresaola. The one thing I am not sure about is the beef bresaola has a lot more liquid being drawn out and sitting in the the bag. The beef is also a lot firmer than the elk. He anyone else used wild game and noticed this? I am wondering if I should leave it in the cure longer? I was thinking I would leave both 9-11 days. Something to mention is the eye of round I used is the same diameter as the elk roast. Both are roughly 3-3.5 inches in Diameter. The beef roast is about 10 inches long and weighs 1598g where as the elk roast is only about 4 inches long and weighs 927g.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

KyNola

The beef is almost 50% larger in weight and the elk is(or should be) much leaner.  Either or both of those variables can easily attribute to the difference in the amount of liquid being drawn out.

Folks who are much more learned than me will come along and give you better advice.  Take their advice.  I will most certainly yield to them.

Northern_Smoke

Thanks for the info. I had kind of figured that the elk being much leaner would be one reasons not as much liquid was being drawn out. It just seemed strange that the meat wasn't getting as firm as the beef.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.