Cold smoked salmon

Started by Thompsoncentre, May 29, 2013, 12:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thompsoncentre

Ok so I'm going to do my first smoke this weekend, and I'm going to try an cold smoke a small salmon fillet, and I have no cold smoke attach ment. I have 3 big salmon given to me but I want to experiment with this first. Is there a time how long each puck will last? Or should I say how many pucks per hour?
Anyways if anyone has any recipes or cook times it would be highly recommended!
Thanks

Thompsoncentre

I'm looking for a real simple recipe

Habanero Smoker

SpyGuy's lox recipe is simple but time consuming:
Best Smoked Lox

If you want a quicker recipe for your first time google gravlax. Then follow the smoking directions in the above recipe. You don't want the cabinet to get any higher then 90°F. So to keep the temperature down with the generator attached, locate the fish on the upper rack(s), leave the vent fully opened, you can add a pan of ice to help keep the temperature down, monitor the temperature closely if it get close to 90°F crack the door open to let the heat escape.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Thompsoncentre

Thanks a lot man, so any idea how long I will have to smoke for? Also how do you no when it is done?

Thompsoncentre

Haha that seems like a lot of work for a small piece maybe I will wait till I get the 3 ready! Maybe. I'll try snack sticks this weekend!

KyNola

A puck burns 20 minutes and then gets kicked off into the water pan so 3 pucks per hour.

Habanero Smoker

When you prepare salmon for cold smoking, such as making lox and/or gravlax it is "done" when you take it out of the salt cure. The salt cures and chemically "cooks" the protein. So once you place it in the smoker for cold smoking, it is a matter of how much smoke you want to apply. The average amount is 1 to 3 hours, but for the first time you may want to apply 1:40 hours.

If you want to cook the salmon, using a hot smoke method. The below link will take you to one of the most popular hot smoked salmon recipes.
Kummok's Smoke Wild Salmon

I
         don't
                   inhale.

tsquared

I would start by using 6 pucks--2 hours of actual smoke, and the rest will be drying time--as habs says--90 degrees or less but it will remove moisture from your fillets, which is what you want.
T2

Thompsoncentre

Well I just got done smoking my salmon. I cold smoked without a adapter. I held it at about 70 for 1 hour 4o minutes. Soo next question. He do you no if its not fit to eat? Haha I didn't try it tonight, I have it in a plastic container in the fridge. If it was bad it would smell wouldn't it? I just don't wanna get sick!

KyNola

What did you do to the salmon prior to putting it in the smoker?  If you just tossed it in the smoker with no other prep to it, I wouldn't touch it.

I will most certainly yield to the more learned folks on the Forum for their guidance.  Take their advice.

terry08

The link below is the first recipe I used for smoked salmon, and still use it. Very good and simple for the first time at smoking salmon. Mine must be store bought.
http://honest-food.net/2012/08/12/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

tsquared

Did you cure the salmon in anyway prior to smoking? (put it in a salt and/or sugar brine, either wet or dry) If you didn't, then I wouldn't eat it, to be on the safe side.
T2

Thompsoncentre

Haha sorry i guess I should of included that. I found a simple gravlax recipe, and it has been in the fridge for 3 days

Thompsoncentre

Well I tryed it, it's pretty good! A little bit
of an off taste but not bad really

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Thompsoncentre on June 05, 2013, 08:46:49 AM
Haha sorry i guess I should of included that. I found a simple gravlax recipe, and it has been in the fridge for 3 days

Whew!! I was hoping you would say that. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.