Cold smoked salmon

Started by Thompsoncentre, May 29, 2013, 12:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 05, 2013, 01:29:04 PM
Quote from: Thompsoncentre on June 05, 2013, 08:46:49 AM
Haha sorry i guess I should of included that. I found a simple gravlax recipe, and it has been in the fridge for 3 days
Whew!! I was hoping you would say that. :)
Me too Habs!  Me too.

dash

If you got an "off" flavor you probably used regular salt, which has iodide and other stuff.  Use kosher salt next time if this is what you did.

Dash

tmo1138

Haha sorry i guess I should of included that. I found a simple gravlax recipe, and it has been in the fridge for 3 days

Please share!  I want to do the same thing here!!

Saber 4

Quote from: tmo1138 on June 17, 2013, 02:16:13 PM

Please share!  I want to do the same thing here!!

Yes please share, I would love to do some for my Dad. :D

Thompsoncentre

http://scandinavianfood.about.com/od/cookingtechniques/ss/gravlaxhowto.htm

Try copy and pasting that into your google.
I brought it to my buddies cottage last weekend and he could not get over how good it was. He said hands down it was the best he's ever had!
That's just a gravlox recipe, but then I smoked it for 2hrs with apple.
And it really is a simple recipe. I thought it had a bit of an off taste at first but I think it was just in my head. It was the first time I ever made something like that and was nervous haha.
If that doesn't work for you I will try seething else.

Thompsoncentre

Thanks dash, I will try that!

Saber 4

Thanks TC, that does look like a simple recipe, I'm assuming you cold smoked after the cure time?

Thompsoncentre

Yup! I cold smoked for about 2hrs. I don't have an adapter for mine, but just kept a close eye on it and left the door open about 2 inches