Anyone aging their meat beside me?

Started by Oldman, May 15, 2006, 09:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

QuoteMoisture removal.

Yes, Olds is right. In a domestic refridgerator there is no air flow to assist moisture removal so the towels assist in this process.

If the meat was hung outside in a cool dry area as in days gone by there would be no need for towels, likewise the airflow is better when dry ageing is done in large walk in (fan assisted) fridges for commercial purposes hence no towels required here either.  :)
Manxman

asa

Quote from: Oldman on May 17, 2006, 11:25:44 PM
Check out this link University of Minnesota

This is a link to a sirlion I aged for 30 days or so:My Aged Sirloin

Thanks for the links. The U.Minn. site is interesting. And I remember seeing your photos a while back when I was monitoring the forum, before I joined. The beef looked great. So, there is something to what we did years ago as poor students when we'd go out to the grocery store and buy beef on its day of "expiration" to get it at half price and also to get it partially wet-aged. Which raises the question, how do commercial retailers determine a "date of expiration?" ie., how many days after butchering and packaging does that represent?

I think I'll give wet aging a try. So after 30 days in the package it must be looking pretty raunchy, isn't it? The kind of thing you probably shouldn't let the rest of the family see or smell first, if you want them to eat it, I'd guess. And what did it smell like; ie., how do you know when it's fit to eat and when you've let it go too long?

And as far as the towels are concerned in dry-aging, for a small roast in a low humidity fridge, I find it hard to believe that the extra wicking I might get would be worth the hassle of dealing with all of that washing and changing. But I guess it might be worth it in a higher humidity cold room, on a larger slab or side of meat. Anyway, I'll think about that.

Thanks, as always, for your instructive comments and pointers,
     Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

RJR1876

An executive chef has told me this little trick of aging but I have yet to try it myself:  soak the meat into a container of cooking oil (makes sure it's covered by the oil) and put the container inside the fridge at not more than 4C (38F). This will reduce the weight loss as water can't escape, which is a major reason why dry aged beef is so epensive

iceman

Old's you got me hooked on wet aging when you told me how to do the briskets awhile back. After seeing your pictures it's definately going to be time to try dry aging. Thanks for taking the time to post that. ;)

Habanero Smoker

Well I finally got around to wet aging a couple of briskets. I was first going to wet age one, but never got about to smoking the other until now, so I have two aged briskets going in the smoker.

Both briskets were bought from Sam's  on the same day, from the same case. I aged them for 21 days. When I took them out of the cryovac packages, I noticed on both that on the thickness edge the meat was dry, and I had to shave off about a 1/4" from those edges. The seals of both cryovac packages were intact until I cut them open. There was no off odor (though I know that is not always a good sign).

Question: Is the drying of the thick edge of the brisket normal when wet aging?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

Well after 24 hours of eating the brisket, I am still alive and no signs of illness. I'll probably do this again just to see if there is any significant change in flavor and/or texture. I am not all that sure if I detected any improvement.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 31, 2006, 02:28:51 PM
Well after 24 hours of eating the brisket, I am still alive and no signs of illness. I'll probably do this again just to see if there is any significant change in flavor and/or texture. I am not all that sure if I detected any improvement.
It's good to hear your still with us Hab!  :D I wet age my briskets most of the time now. I did do a side by side of aged verses fresh and did notice a difference. I never had the edge turn dry though. I don't know what to tell you there. Olds would probably have an answer for you. I've got 12 briskets aging for the Festival in Talkeetna this weekend. I guess I better get going on them and the pork butts.
I really want to try pastrami soon but keep running out of time. Maybe fall time.

Oldman

QuoteQuestion: Is the drying of the thick edge of the brisket normal when wet aging?
I have never ever seen that. Two thoughts. One there was a small hole there. Two and this one I would be more inclined to believe. The meat was allowed to dry out on that edge before is was packed. 

Wet aging will not improve the flavor like dry aging. The biggest most important thing it does is allow the meat to break down so it is more tender.

Look at how the fat cap on this aged sirlion sags under its own weight. You could almost cut that steak with a butter knife.

Click To Enlarge

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Oldman on August 01, 2006, 04:52:10 PM
QuoteQuestion: Is the drying of the thick edge of the brisket normal when wet aging?
I have never ever seen that. Two thoughts. One there was a small hole there. Two and this one I would be more inclined to believe. The meat was allowed to dry out on that edge before is was packed. 

Wet aging will not improve the flavor like dry aging. The biggest most important thing it does is allow the meat to break down so it is more tender.

Look at how the fat cap on this aged sirlion sags under its own weight. You could almost cut that steak with a butter knife.

Click To Enlarge

Olds

I would have to believe the second scenario. The vacuum seal seemed to be intact. Since both briskets came from the same case, you may be right about them being dried out prior to packaging. The next time I buy any meat that is cryovac I will be checking for that. Yesterday I got a chance to taste the second brisket, and that one does seem to be a lot more tender.

I
         don't
                   inhale.