Cook time for pork shoulder

Started by Elecshaman, June 08, 2013, 06:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elecshaman

All,
Need to have the shoulder ready by 1 pm this Sunday. Looking to smoke/cook 15-18 lbs of shoulder. Any ideas on total cook time. Thanks!

KyNola

I would start it by noon today.  If it gets finished early you can always keep it hot by wrapping it in foil and then a towel and place in a dry cooler.  It will hold it for 4-5 hours with no problem.

Remember that somewhere around the 150-160 internal temperature mark that the butt is going to "stall", meaning the temp will stop rising and maybe even fall a degree or two.  That's normal.  Resist the urge to bump up the temp.  The "stall" is when all of the connective tissues begin to break down.

TedEbear

Quote from: Elecshaman on June 08, 2013, 06:32:05 AM
All,
Need to have the shoulder ready by 1 pm this Sunday. Looking to smoke/cook 15-18 lbs of shoulder. Any ideas on total cook time. Thanks!

The general rule of thumb is 1.5-2 hours per lb.  I take mine to an internal temp of 195*F.

Ka Honu

Quote from: TedEbear on June 08, 2013, 07:55:49 AMThe general rule of thumb is 1.5-2 hours per lb.

Generals are not always right. Start early.

Wildcat

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 08, 2013, 08:07:37 AM
Quote from: TedEbear on June 08, 2013, 07:55:49 AMThe general rule of thumb is 1.5-2 hours per lb.

Generals are not always right. Start early.

lol Good one turtle man! ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

DelcoSol

Just did a six pound butt and right now its almost at 12 hours with IT of 192. 2 hours per pound worked this time but I have had to go longer in the past.