Question about smoking a tri-tip.

Started by lilpuppy99, June 14, 2013, 09:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilpuppy99

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Bradley 4-rack digital smoker and plan to smoke some tri-tip for the first time.  I'm thinking of smoking it and then finishing it on the grill. How would I go about it? Do i just turn on the smoker and then smoke for 2 hours and then remove it? Or do I have to turn on the smoker and the oven?  I'm using a "Special Blend" bisquette that I bought on Amazon.  I wanted to use Hickory or Mesquite but they were backordered. Has anyone used the Special Blend before?

Thanks,  Jeff

P.S.  I bought 8 lbs of brisket and 2 racks of pork ribs so I'll be smoking a lot in the next week!!!

beefmann

here is my smoked tri tip

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=32408.0

135 - 140 mop with your favorite bbq sauce  3 times , once at 135, again at 140, again at 145, let the tri tip continue to 150 and pull

lilpuppy99

Thanks for the response. I'd like to know though if I should smoke the Tri-Tip just using the smoke generator at 100 degrees without turning the smoker oven on too? Or do I need to turn on the oven as well?

beefmann

turn on the smoke generator and oven, Oven temp at 225 Pre warm for 30 minutes then place tri tip into oven, Fill water bowl , place bowl under puck burner advance first puck onto burner close door,  Only smoke for 2 Hours or 6 pucks (  place 8 in stack as it will need two pucks to get them to the puck burner ) relax a bit,,, if you  have a  remote thermometer insert it into the meat prior to closing the door, cook till an internal temp of 150... if you  like it a bit rarer then 145 or so.

depending on the size of the tri tip figure 1 hr per lb as a  reference

lilpuppy99

Thanks for the advice. I have two Tri-tips in the smoker as we speak. One is 2 lbs and the other is 2.5 lbs. So that would roughly be 2.5 hrs total?  Or is it 2 hrs smoking and then 2.5 hrs more of cooking? I have the smoker oven set at 230 degrees.  Also, should I flip the meat halfway through smoking/cooking?

Thanks, Jeff

beefmann

that  time frame sounds about  right  2 hrs of smoking at 225 - 230, with your favorite wood,  total time of smoking 2.5 to 3 hours with checking on your desired preference of rare, medium, or well done...

if it  still looks rare add another hour and check again