HOW HOT WILL IT RUN?

Started by RHOUSER, June 11, 2013, 12:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHOUSER

I have a new BS611 and have run my first smoke (Turkey Legs and Wing Parts).  It came out fine.  They are eaten and they were good. 

I have a couple of Questions:  I have a stock BOS with the single element. 

1. If I am smoking on an 85 degree day with the smoker in the sun, what kind of high temperatures can I look for.  How Hot will this smoker allow me to run.  I know with a load of cold meat, it will pull down, but, if I crank things over to full on, what can I expect it to run at if I "walk away" for a couple of hours. 

Will an Empty Box on full heat for warm up become a fire hazard if forgotten for an hour?

Thanks chad

beefmann

with a load of cold meat ( right out of the fridge ) the box temp will drop drastically because of the cold meat, even if you pre warm the box to 225 F it most likely drop into the range of 125 to 150 depending on volume and temp of meat,
example: 30 lbs of meat at 40 F  will drop the box temp from 225 to below 150 rather quickly and keep it there for a  while till the meat starts warming up, Also the volume of meat ( 30 lbs ) will also drop the box temp  even if it is at room temp, once it  starts cooking the box temp will rise close to its set  temp of 225 f.

as for an empty box  on high heat catch on fire, most likely not if the box , mainly the area around the element is kept clean and free from grease. However there has been fires in the bradleys because fat, grease has got onto the element and ignited.

I dont want to scare you, just use common sense and keep the box clean of debris and grease .. you  will be good to go

Wildcat

There is a sensor in the Bradley that limits how hot it can get. Once that limit is reached it will shut itself down. Not sure what that temp is but I think it is around 270. Without catching some grease on fire, I doubt if you can get the Bradley over 230 or 240 with a load of meat inside.

I recommend that if you want to cook at higher temps to utilize your house oven or a wood, gas, or charcoal appliance. The Bradley was designed for low and slow.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

RHOUSER

I actually got the Bradley as a Sausage Smoker for my home sausage production and also to try a little cold smoking.  I have a lump coal smoker that I have used for years but 200 - 210  is about as cool as I can maintain it (especially in the summer).

My first Bradley Smoke of the Turkey legs and wings showed me the Ease of a well designed electric smoker.  It made me start thinking about what other things I could do.  I purchased the Auber WSD 1203CPH dual probe controller that I will try this afternoon smoking a simple 1 LB Bob Evans Hot Sausage Fatty to test my first programming of the Auber.

My whole life, Murphy has been my wing man, so, that's where the question about warming up the box and forgetting it for two hours on "full heat" came from. The answer that Bradley installed a sensor to act as a "limiter" is perfect.

Thanks to all that answered
rch 

Wildcat

Glad to be of some help.

Again, I am not sure at what temp the limiter kicks in. The Bradley can catch on fire. Most fires that I am aware of are due to grease. It is important that the meat not touch any of the smoker walls, and to maintain the drip system and keep water (or some non flammable liquid) in the pan. The water is there to put out the wood pucks as well as to catch grease and not allow it to get hot enough to ignite. You can leave the Bradley unattended for relatively long periods, but if you do I highly recommend that you make sure it is far enough away from other structures so as not to catch everything on fire in the event the Bradley did catch on fire.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/