how long can hot smoked salmon keep sealed in fridge?

Started by ocarolina, May 27, 2013, 08:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocarolina

I just hot smoked a good sized batch of salmon using Kummok's recipe.  I have a foodsealer machine at home, and was wondering if anyone knew how long the salmon will keep - sealed in the fridge.  I suppose I could freeze it, but it seems to change slightly in texture when frozen.  I want to use it in 2 weeks for a delicious salad at a picnic, but was not sure if I should just freeze it, or if it will keep sealed.  Anyone know?

Salmonsmoker

You might make 2 weeks vacpacked in the fridge if the temp is below 39F. I vacpack all of my salmon, then freeze it. I can't tell the difference between that and the non-frozen. I have some 3 yr. old smoked salmon in the freezer that's vacpacked and it's still as good as when I made it. I let it thaw in the fridge, on the counter if being used right away, or in a cold water bath in the sink. The flavor doesn't change that way. Thawing in the microwave will change it very much and not in a good way.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Smokeville

If you want to keep it in the fridge, don't vac seal it, just put it in a zip lock bag very lightly sealed. Taking the oxygen out of a low-acid food has a risk of botulism. It's not even recommended to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap.

Rich