First Attempt at Cold Smoking

Started by NorthShoreMN, April 10, 2013, 01:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthShoreMN

After reading the many posts on cold smoking cheese, I had to give it a try. 

The Cheeses are, left to right, Provalone, Horseradish, Colby, Pepperjack
and two of Three Pepper Colby.

2 1/2 hours with Apple smoke from a 6" A maze N .

Now to vac-seal and wait.  I checked a very small piece and the Ashtray that people mention in their
post was definitely there.
Thanks to the forum members for all the information.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

pensrock

Looks good, I know you'll love the horseradish it one of the most requested that I do.

ragweed

Hide it in the back of the frig and be patient.  It's worth the wait!!

tskeeter

Hey Paul, you got some nice color on that cheese!  If your experience turns out to be like mine, you're going to find that you do a smoker full of cheese three or four times a year.  I never seem to have any problems getting the neighbors to help me make space in the fridge for a new batch.

Never thought about smoking horseradish flavored cheese.  You and Pens are giving me ideas.

The next cheese experiment on my agenda is to smoke some "cooking" cheese.  I've been applying a light smoke of four pucks of apple for the cheese we've been snacking on.  But, I've been thinking about something with a heavier smoke application to put into some smokey au gratin potatoes, smokey mac and cheese, juicy lucys, or just plain cheese burgers.  Maybe I'll start with a couple hours of hickory and see how we like that.

RedJada

Loogs good NorthShoreMN, Ill be doing some cheese this weekend. Starting to get warm here so better do it while outside temps will be in the 40's, so they say. Nothing that a block of ice cant fix.

pokermeister

I have smoked both Velveeta and cream cheese, and had great results. I am currently on a cycle, and smoke 6-8 lbs of cheese every 3 weeks. I just almost run out when the next cheese is ready-about 4 weeks.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

terry08

Will any brand of pellets work in the tube. I buy mine from Academy Sports. Just wondering if they will produce the same smoke time.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

NorthShoreMN

Terry,
Not sure on the pellet question. This was my first use
And I bought a bunch from amazn when I got the tube.  I am sure there are others out there that can answer you question.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

forever." Mahatma Gandhi

terry08

I have been using tubes for years. But just with sawdust. We call them dust logs, pack the dust tight and get one hour of cold smoke.
Will try the pellets and see if I get longer smoke time. Makes sense that the pellets would burn longer.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

pokermeister

I don't have the tube, but I do have the 4 x 6 AMZN tray. I have used 3 different varieties of pellets, and all worked fine.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

NorthShoreMN

Finally opened the cheese and put it out for people to sample. I am now out of cheese. 
Pensrock, you were correct. Horseradish went fast and was great.  A three pepper Colby was very good also. 
More cheese in the smoker today. 

forever." Mahatma Gandhi

tskeeter

Paul, congratulations on a very successful smoke!  Watch out, you're going to become the most popular guy in GM if you start keeping a good supply of smoked cheese on hand.

This thread is reminding me that I was going to try smoking some of that horseradish cheese!

NorthShoreMN

more cheese for smoker, horseradish is very good on burgers. 

forever." Mahatma Gandhi

NorthShoreMN

sorry about the large photo, resized it to 640x80 as suggested but it still posted it full size.

forever." Mahatma Gandhi