Beef Bacon???

Started by Saber 4, June 15, 2013, 02:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Here I am stuck in bed with Strep watching the cooking channel when the featured chef starts talking about how he cures and smokes his own beef bacon for his wild game recipes. From what it looks like and what they described it was untrimmed brisket that he is using, has anyone out there done this or heard of it? Sounds like it could be a good experiment when I get a little more experienced, I started my first CB cure a couple of days before I got sick so hopefully I get non-contagious quick enough to finish it on time.

beefmann

would like to know more, never heard of beef bacon... would like to make some

re:  looked at a beef chart that i have, if i am reading it  right there is 4 parts of the brisket shown which one part is the naval which is used for beef bacon, so i do not see why any part of the brisket can not be made into beef bacon

Saber 4

All I know is it was on a Cooking Channel show about The Frontier restaurant in Chicago and the piece they showed wrapping around an elk steak looked like it was sliced off the thickest part of an untrimmed cryopac brisket and the sous chef mentioned that they cured it from brisket. I don know it sounded good and I can think of a bunch of uses for it. Here's a link to the restaurant that had the beef bacon, I sent them an email so we'll have to wait and see if I get a reply. http://www.thefrontierchicago.com/food/ I'll keep searching for more info and post if I find anything.

Saber 4

Found these two links, I'll let the experts here judge them for pro's and con's.

http://frombellytobacon.com/2011/01/28/beef-bacon/
http://www.ehow.com/how_2306823_make-beef-bacon.html

I also found a link to a Canadian Beef Bacon company that is marketing it as a completed product.

beefmann

Habanero Smoker

The best beef bacon comes from beef plate. It comes from a similar area where the pork belly is located. On beef it is located at the belly, between the brisket and flank. I've been trying to get beef plate for years (without paying an arm and a leg for it), since I've seen the recipe in Kutas' book. If you make it out of brisket, I would be interested to know how that works out, because beef bacon is still on my to do list.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Saber 4

That was a good link Beefman, are you going to try it with the plate or a standard brisket? I am warming up the Brad for my CB and if it turns out good I think I'm going to check with the meat locker that I used when I was raising my own beef and pork for slaughter and see if he has any plate or a good piece of brisket to try it on. Bradley's need to come with an addiction warning label, I'm always thinking about what to smoke next.
I'll post here with results and pics when I get to make it.

beefmann

Quote from: Saber 4 on June 16, 2013, 07:51:27 AM
That was a good link Beefman, are you going to try it with the plate or a standard brisket? I am warming up the Brad for my CB and if it turns out good I think I'm going to check with the meat locker that I used when I was raising my own beef and pork for slaughter and see if he has any plate or a good piece of brisket to try it on. Bradley's need to come with an addiction warning label, I'm always thinking about what to smoke next.
I'll post here with results and pics when I get to make it.

am planning to try it with a few changes

original recipe

1 gallon water                                                 
prague powder per lb
6 bay leaves
2 tsp juniper berries crushed
1 cup kosher salt
3 oz white sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp black peppercorns

Beefmans recipe

10 - 13 lb brisket trimmed to less then 1/2 inch of fat
1 gallon apple cider
1 cup of maple syrup
3 oz by weight instacure #1
1 cup kosher salt
1.5 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp black pepper

plan is
put apple juice into a  pot and heat, add in maple syrup , mix  and add the rest of the ingredients mixing throughly untill dissolved  let cool then into fridge until chilled, prep brisket and into cure for 7 days, then smoke with maple at a box temp of 225 till an it of 155

am planning to try it week of the 24 th

Saber 4

That looks like a better recipe, I'm more ready to try the bacon than the pastrami he talked about in the link so your version is perfect. keep us posted on how it turns out, you'll probably get to do yours before I can do mine.

devo

Our local country grocery store has tried to sell beef bacon in the past with little success. Its not a big seller thats for sure.

Saber 4

I can see it having a limited appeal, did you ever try theirs and was it any good?

mahto

Thanks Beefamn never had beef bacon but that just changed my dinner plans of BBQ salmon as beefman brought it over an it was great BLT's now I gotta try making it
tu amigo
mahto

Saber 4

The hunt is on, the first butcher shop I went to didn't have a clue and tried to tell me that brisket is the equivalent beef cut to pork belly but after some internet searching I've found a picture of the holy grail for my beef bacon, The Beef Short Plate, now all I have to do is find someone that will trim it out and not cut it into stew meat.

Here's the website that I found my information at: http://www.cbamarketing.info/images/raw-meat-cuts/asian/plate/short-plate

rveal23

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

Looks like pork belly!
My online cookbook: good food & friends