Beef Bacon???

Started by Saber 4, June 15, 2013, 02:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Quote from: pz on August 07, 2013, 11:04:43 AM
Starting to drool - haven't had breakfast or lunch  ;D

I too like the color on the dry cure - looks almost like corned beef

That's probably a good comparison but with a definite bacon feel and taste, You can always jump in and go for it. From what I saw of Beefmann's and mine I don't think you absolutely have to have the short plate for it to be good, the plate just makes it easier to slice like bacon. If beef loin's weren't so expensive I think I would try to do a Canadian Bacon.

pz

So much to learn to smoke, so little time!  I need to learn more about cuts of meat, and which names are equivalent.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

SiFumar

OMG...look really good! ;D

pz

My online cookbook: good food & friends

beefmann

jjmoney

Quote from: Saber 4 on August 07, 2013, 01:03:15 PMIf beef loins weren't so expensive I think I would try to do a Canadian Bacon.

But it should work just about the same, right? I am seriously considering making some beef "Canadian" bacon. Second batch of pork CB is going into the smoker in about an hour, and I'm looking to move away from the pork for the next smoke.

Saber 4

Quote from: jjmoney on January 29, 2014, 07:43:19 AM
Quote from: Saber 4 on August 07, 2013, 01:03:15 PMIf beef loins weren't so expensive I think I would try to do a Canadian Bacon.

But it should work just about the same, right? I am seriously considering making some beef "Canadian" bacon. Second batch of pork CB is going into the smoker in about an hour, and I'm looking to move away from the pork for the next smoke.

I would think it would work as long as you get the cure amounts right. I'm sure the experts will be along shortly to advise.