Jan's Rub

Started by rcger, June 17, 2013, 10:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

Has anyone used Turbinado sugar in Jan's Rub?  I know the original recipe called for white sugar.  I was just wondering.  Thanks!
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

iceman

Tried it awhile back. It was just a bit to course of a grind for us. Seemed not as sweet and sort of separated out of the other spices when it was sprinkled on the meat. I suppose you could grind it finer to solve that problem but it just adds an extra step to the process. (I'm lazy)!  ;D

hal4uk

I'm sure it would work just fine, but there might be a volumetric conversion factor?

I've certainly used all kinds of sugar in rubs, and honestly, I don't think it's worth buying the tubinado.
I know... I know...  It has a higher melting point, yada, yada, I've just not had any trouble with plain old table sugar.
At normal hot-smoking temps, I use plain old sugar and don't worry about it.

This is just MHO, but I also like that table sugar mixes (distributes) more evenly in a rub.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

I often substitute if for white sugar when I am make rubs and often when I make sauces. I once used it when making "Basic Cure" recipe. As Pat mentioned, in rubs (also in the Basic Cure) it can separate from the finer grind spices and/or salt, so I will pulse it a couple of times in a coffee grinder. If you have a burr grinder that works better then an blade grinder. For rubs, if I'm not making a large amount of rub, I don't worry about the volume conversion.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rcger

Thanks to all for your feedback.  It's always appreciated.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!